Stone Gate And Canyon Lakes

snickers

Since this community is still in the "growth" phase, I would not buy a new home. Instead, look to the resale market, they're likely to be a dime a dozen. When people live in a new home community less than two years and then have to move for whatever reason, they lose money on the home because the new ones are cheaper, presumbably. So, if this is what you like, look at the used homes. Also, I would check into not only the ratings of the schools, but at the locations and distance from your home. That could be a deal-breaker if you don't want your kids on long bus trips in the mornings and afternoons. Also, if you have your heart set on a new home (gotta have the new home smell!) DO NOT buy a home on a dead-end street in a still developing neighborhood. Builders do and will lie to you saying, "Oh, that street, it'll never go through. I think it's supposed to be a park or a pool or tennis courts. Here, look, it's on this drawing." Drawings are not reality, they are only what the developer dreamed up one day. They are fiction. Unless you see a park there, don't believe it. Established communities, in my humble opinion, are better buys. You get what you see, not what some developer or builder may promise you. If the home has defects, they are likely to have been worked out already. New homes now come with mediation agreements that you have to sign, promising in effect, that you will not sue the builder, that you will work this out with them, no matter what the defect. Good luck!

Buying a house in a neighborhood being developed isn't a bad thing, though. Your neighborhood is just growing. Like their is this neighborhood in North Katy called "Williamsburg Parish" It was an established neighborhood for about 6 years, when no builders were building there, then all of a sudden Postwood Homes comes in and starts making dead end streets major streets in the neighborhood. Smaller streets start having more cars on them. Now the neighorhood is tripled in size and they still have one or two phases left. Then across the street is another neighborhood "Lakecrest" by Lennar Corp., which causes two more phases in "Williamsburg Parish"(my cousin lives up there which explains what I know).

One more thing, Snickers...

When you are looking at the affordability of certain areas, be sure to take into the extra added fees of these communities. There are MUD taxes, maintenance fees, homeowner association fees, and on and on. Also, be sure to ask to see the list of deed restrictions or "covenants" for an area you're interested in. Some are VERY restrictive, bordering on the ridiculous, in my opinion, and you need to know these things BEFORE you buy. One last tidbit, in some areas of town, where they are still building new homes, a builder will show you the "low, low" taxes for that property. What they don't go into detail about is that the taxes were for raw undeveloped acreage, before that house went up on it! This little bait and switch technique is most insidiously used by unscrupulous persons preying on those who can least afford to have the wool pulled over their eyes. Even when looking at new homes, USE A REALTOR, they are there to protect YOUR interest. Do not believe the builder when they say, "Oh, you don't need that realtor. We can handle everything for you!" Do your homework and take your time. The purchase of a home is probably the biggest investment any of us will ever make in terms of money. :)

Read below for a better illustration of what you need to know BEFORE you buy:

Spring Hills story

thanks for the heads up! what are MUD taxes? I have seen that listed in some real estate ads but was not sure what it was. I can guess but I would rather not- LOL

I have notices the restrictions in the subdivisions up here around chicago...they even dictate what kind of front door you can have....what plants you can plant...you name it they dictate it! We have a house that is not part of a subdivision....and it is quite possible that we will keep it that way when we move down there....but having two small children...well, i guess i can see some appeal to a gated community.....

thanks for all the good info...that is good info no matter where you buy....and I would FLIP if all of a sudden 5k was added to my bills! That article is downright scary!!

In super simplistic terms, here's the lowdown on MUD's:

If you live within Houston city limits, you pay Houston taxes and receive water from Lake Houston under the auspices of the City of Houston water dept.

If you live outside Houston city limits, you receive water from either the Edwards or Evangeline underground aquifer under the auspices of your local municipal utility district or MUD.

Another choice (when the realty ad says "NO MUD TAXES") is private wells, drilled at the expense of either the developer or the private homeowner.

The North Houston Regional Water Authority (NHRWA) has mandated that within 25 years we will not be using any underground sources anymore (because of subsidence issues - something else you will need to read up on), and that we will be converted 100% to surface water received from the City of Houston. The water bills for our area (North of Houston) are predicted to triple when this happens, so you will probably start seeing a lot of brown lawns up this way! :P

A note about gated communities;

Although this is becoming more and more commonplace in "upscale" areas, please know that most times these gates are never closed and the quaint little guard station is never manned. They give the illusion of security only, so don't pay extra for this feature.

Another thing that I'm sure you're familiar with as well, sometimes the gates are only locking the criminal elements in with you; meaning most of the times when there are occurrences of theft or destruction of property, the perpetrators are very often people in the neighborhood.

Also, in true gated communities, the gates themselves are often a deterrent not to the criminal element, but to emergency service personnel, something to consider. -_-