I've got a home warranty though, so I let them deal with it and just pay the good man that comes and fixes it the $60 flat fee and go on my merry way.

Since it's going to take more than a day for them to come repair it, I am going to get one of those mobile AC units, not the window unit, but the one that stands on its own, and blows hot air out a tube that you direct outside, while keeping the interior cooler.

Question is, where to direct the tube?

I have an access panel in the room that goes into the crawlspace, should I open that and direct the air into that (blocking off the rest so whatever lives under my house cannot enter)? Maybe just direct it into the AC circulation (my theory being that once it ends up back in the house it will have cooled down enough so as not to matter too much)?

If I ever bought one of those, I'd get one of the better ones with two tubes: one for the exhaust of hot air and one for intake of outside air to blow across the condenser.  The reason is if a one tube model is drawing inside air to blow across the condensor and then out the window or whereever, then you are naturally going to have to draw in an equivalent amount of hot outside air to replace it.  Either model is going to give you cold air locally, but the two tube models are more efficient overall.

So by the same logic I wouldn't vent the hot air into the house.

Archived