The Museum of Suburbia

Urban vs suburban vs exurban is always a popular topic here on HAIF. That's why this article caught my eye: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443493304578038920747409686.html?KEYWORDS=jim+carlton

Johnson County, Kansas wants to spend $34 million on a life-size museum of Suburbia, complete with bowling alley and pink lawn flamingos.

It's an interesting concept, and especially appropriate now that a significant number of people are moving out of the suburbs and into the cities in so many parts of the country.

It reminds me of an article I wrote a few months ago suggesting that a particularly scuzzy block of downtown Chicago should be preserved as a living museum of "shithole-era" Chicago. That one got a ton of play on HAIF's sister site, and landed me an hour-long interview on Chicago radio to talk about the idea.

It reminds me of an article I wrote a few months ago suggesting that a particularly scuzzy block of downtown Chicago should be preserved as a living museum of "shithole-era" Chicago. That one got a ton of play on HAIF's sister site, and landed me an hour-long interview on Chicago radio to talk about the idea.

Heh - the good thing about a museum like this would be - it should be pretty inexpensive to acquire.

Archived