Hadley Street

Plumb Bob

Hello Folks,

Does anyone know anything about the history or the naming of Hadley Street? I am working on a project and I am trying to find out as many facts as I can. My project is circa 1910-1912, but I'm sure any info would be prior to that time.

The street itself seems to be just a common street; no street car service, just a cross street.

Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks,

PB

:)

I have found some info on Thomas B.J. Hadley, for whom Hadley Street is named. Hadley came to Texas when it was a republic, and when Texas became a state he was active in furthering education and learning. He was in fact one of the founders of a debating society that played a role in developing the Houston Public Library.

The Historical Marker on the Julia Ideson Library building says:

Genesis of Houston Public Library system. Outgrowth of Houston Franklin Debating Society, founded 1837, the first Houston Lyceum was chartered by the State of Texas on March 20, 1848. Its founders were Thomas M. Bagby, Abner Cooke, Peter W. Gray, T. B. J. Hadley, E. A. Palmer, James Walker, and other citizens interested in debating and in a circulating library.

Meetings of this group lapsed, and a second Houston Lyceum was organized on May 27, 1854, by Andrew W. Daly, who became president. C. R. Smith was vice president; W. I. Brocket, recording secretary; S. C. West, corresponding secretary; T. H. Conklin, treasurer; and Thomas Pearce, librarian. Aim, similar to that of first Lyceum, was "to diffuse knowledge...by a library, by lectures..., and by discussion...."

Some $17.40 and 88 volumes were collected by Aug. 25, 1854. A bookcase was bought, and library was lodged in the county courthouse. Lyceum activities were curtailed in Civil War era (1861-65), but library and records were preserved until his death in 1868 by the faithful president, Andrew Daly.

The Lyceum was reactivated in 1874. Houston Public Library, inheritor of the Lyceum's books and ideals, is now a major resource center for one-fourth of the population of the State of Texas."

Here's a link to an item in the Texas State Historical Association website, about a woman named Obedience Smith. You might find it of interest.

http://www.tshaonlin.../articles/fsm79

Obedience Smith was one of Houston's earliest citizens, and her daughter Piety married Thomas Hadley. Piety Smith Hadley and her husband were among the founders and charter members of First Baptist Church in Houston. Between them, the Smiths and the Hadleys owned large parcels of land that are now downtown Houston. One particular parcel is now occupied by Houston City Hall, Jones Hall, Bayou Place and Tranquility Park. You'll notice that Smith Street runs right through the middle of that spot.

I haven't been able to find out what Thomas Hadley did for a living, but if he was like most of the successful men of those early days, he was probably a businessman of some sort.

You have probably already noticed that most of the streets in the immediate area of downtown are named for Houston's prominent citizens of those times.

Edited by FilioScotia

Obedience Smith was one of Houston's earliest citizens, and her daughter Piety married Thomas Hadley. Piety Smith Hadley and her husband were among the founders and charter members of First Baptist Church in Houston. Between them, the Smiths and the Hadleys owned large parcels of land that are now downtown Houston. One particular parcel is now occupied by Houston City Hall, Jones Hall, Bayou Place and Tranquility Park. You'll notice that Smith Street runs right through the middle of that spot.

I haven't been able to find out what Thomas Hadley did for a living, but if he was like most of the successful men of those early days, he was probably a businessman of some sort.

You have probably already noticed that most of the streets in the immediate area of downtown are named for Houston's prominent citizens of those times.

I thought Smith St. was named after a Bob Smith. What is the name of that fountain on Smith, near the Hyatt?

It's just a coincidence that Smith Street runs right through what was once a large parcel of land owned by Obedience Smith. The street is named for Erastus "Deaf" Smith, one of the heroes of the Texas Revolution. He was one of Sam Houston's scouts, and is credited with capturing Santa Anna after the battle of San Jacinto.

• The title was changed to Hadley Street?
  • The title was changed to Hadley Street