All Interstates In Texas

As I stated earlier, the lack of feeder roads will only displace growth to areas away from the highway; relatively little growth if any will be prevented. Case in point: Pearland. They're only now adding feeder roads in SOME places.

Even if you do not know the precise location of land being bought up by TXDoT, perhaps you could enlighten us as to the extent of the land purchases. Even several thousand acres purchased in any configuration would do nothing to prevent further westward growth. What is their strategy?

I never said if I thought it would work. I'm sure there is more to it than what I posted. I don't know what land, I didnt dig for details.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your right, I said Zavalla I meant Huntington. They reconstructed between Lufkin and Huntington. I was witness that construction. The next phase will be to Zavalla and along that old railroad line.

Lumberton area will see a 4 lane road with center left turn. The remaing 69 will go divide highway. I should be more clear in the future.

The only work that was done between Lufkin and Huntington was repaving. As I stated, the highway has been in the current configuration for several decades.

And the plan for 69 has it as a controlled access freeway bypassing Lumberton, Kountze, and Woodville, and reverting back to a four-lane divided rural highway north of Colmesneil, in northern Tyler County. TxDOT does have plans to widen the current highway in Lumberton, but that road will eventually be a business route, while the main route of 69 bypasses the town to the west along the old Southern Pacific right of way.

It was either bid out last month or will be this month, I'm not sure which.

I wonder if it will be rebuilt to the same height, higher, or lower.

It was either bid out last month or will be this month, I'm not sure which.

Justin have you seen this before?

Trust me, several more projects has been added since then.

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/...ip/beaumont.pdf

I wonder if it will be rebuilt to the same height, higher, or lower.

Without having seen the plans, the trend on these large I-10 bridges is to shorten the height and lengthen the approaches, increasing the overall sight distance on the span. This was done on the Sabine bridge and will be done on the Calcasieu bridge in Lake Chuck.

This was done on the Sabine bridge and will be done on the Calcasieu bridge in Lake Chuck.

Talk about a bridge that is about to fall down. The guardrails on the Lake Charles bridge are all rusted, and the roadway is in horrible condition. I've always hated driving over that thing because it's so narrow. Louisiana can't replace it soon enough -- it should have been done about 30 years ago.

Talk about a bridge that is about to fall down. The guardrails on the Lake Charles bridge are all rusted, and the roadway is in horrible condition. I've always hated driving over that thing because it's so narrow. Louisiana can't replace it soon enough -- it should have been done about 30 years ago.

I know LaDOTD has it in the works, but I don't know how far along it is, or when they anticipate starting. I have seen some conceptual as well as detailed designs.

Why not just build a second bridge, repair the old bridge, then one can be used for east bound other for west bouind. Just like the Rainbow bridge and Memorial bridge, old and new.

However does a tall bridge need to be placed there? I never see any tall ships in that area any more.

Why not just build a second bridge, repair the old bridge, then one can be used for east bound other for west bouind. Just like the Rainbow bridge and Memorial bridge, old and new.

If you are referring to Lake Chuck (or Trinity, for that matter), the most likely answer is that the current bridge is not up to current design standards in terms of sight distances with its rate of grade change at the top and both bottom ends, as well as the non-existent shoulders. That's most likely why the speed limit on the bridge is only 50 mph. Additionally, the steep grades mean large trucks slow down and appraoch crawl speed as they climb to the top, creating moving roadblocks in the traffic. Combining all these factors make using the old bridge undesirable.

However does a tall bridge need to be placed there? I never see any tall ships in that area any more.

The new bridge in Lake Chuck will be shorter than the existing one. The new bridge will crest at 95' above sea level while the current bridge crests at 152' above sea level.

But the project is currently on hold while they perform a marine use study of the upper Calcasieu River, which could influence the design, particularly said clearances.

CDEB have you traveled across the rainbow bridge? No shoulder and 187' ASL.

It's all about historical value. Bridge City (among other places) would have s*** a brick had they wanted to tear down the Rainbow Bridge. Plus it was probably cheaper to do it that way instead of building two bridges for the simple fact that the Vet. Memorial bridge, while not as tall, is still 150+ feet up.

I don't think anybody in Lake Chuck will miss the I-10 bridge anyways.

Was? it's still there and in use.

Texas tallest bridge, the "Rainbow bridge"

he Rainbow Bridge is a cantilever bridge crossing the Neches River in Southeast Texas (29.9805 -93.8703) just upstream from Sabine Lake. It allows Texas State Highway 87 and Texas State Highway 73 to connect Port Arthur in Jefferson County on the southwest bank of the river with Bridge City in Orange County on the northeast bank.

Construction on the bridge began in 1936 under the guidance of the Texas State Highway Department. Due to concerns by the upstream city of Beaumont about the bridge posing a threat to ship navigation, the Rainbow Bridge was built with a 680 foot (210 m) main span. In addition, it has a vertical clearance of 177 feet (54 m)[1], which was intended to allow the tallest ship in the US Navy, the USS Patoka, passage under the bridge.

The bridge was completed on September 8, 1938. The nearby town of Prairie View took on the name "Bridge City" in response. Initially named the "Port Arthur-Orange Bridge", it received its current name in 1957. The bridge was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.

The USS Patoka never sailed the Neches River. The Rainbow Bridge remains the highest bridge in Texas [2].

[edit]

Veterans Memorial Bridge

In 1988, construction began on the Veterans Memorial Bridge, the first cable-stayed bridge in Texas. This bridge runs parallel to the Rainbow Bridge, and was dedicated on September 8, 1990. With a vertical clearance of 143 feet (43.5 m), the bridge is somewhat shorter than its neighbor [3].

After the completion of the Veterans Memorial Bridge, the Rainbow Bridge was closed for renovations. On its re-opening in 1997[citation needed], the Rainbow Bridge became one way, handling southbound traffic only. The Veterans Memorial Bridge serves northbound traffic [4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Bridge_(Texas)

Yup, sure have. While not as bad as the Pikes Peak Rd, it's not the most comfortable drive in the world.

It doesn't bother me any.... Then again I've lived around it all my life and drive over it once in a while when I'm in that area. To be honest, the I-10 Trinity River bridge bothers me more. I won't miss that thing one bit whenever they get the new ones built.

Archived