Classy Nose Flashback

When I think of growing up in Houston, four smells come to mind:

1) The Good: The Nabisco Bakery on Holcombe

2) The Bad: The Ship Channel

3) The Sweet & Scary: The Fruity Smell of Ethyl Acetate Solvent on Mykawa Rd (mornings)

4) The Hipnotizer: The smell of rich ladies and beautiful women*

*Been lurking on this forum for 8 yrs (and gone from Houston for more), but a compelling scent my wife brought home made me sign up today. Swarovsky (crystalware) is selling a women's cologne called 'Aura'. I kid you not, it reminds me of a cologne the 'better (looking, smelling and funded) women' of Houston were wearing some time in the '70s.

If anyone decides to confirm this (and the original scent's name?), please refrain from sharing any remembrances of skanks who may have glommed onto the scent in an effort to mitigate their poor choices in other areas.

Thx

P.S. Get a free sample of this vintage nose candy for your lady (and treat yourself to some very classy flashbacks).

I remember a number of older women coworkers I had in the 70s were wearing Estee Lauder. They had more disposable income than I did. I don't know which particular scent of Estee's it was but they all liked the same one. I didn't care for it as it seemed "heavy" to me.

BTW, Mrs. Baird's bread and the coffee plant were both on the east side and they smelled pretty good.

I remember a number of older women coworkers I had in the 70s were wearing Estee Lauder. They had more disposable income than I did. I don't know which particular scent of Estee's it was but they all liked the same one. I didn't care for it as it seemed "heavy" to me.

I also recall a 'heavy' one or two, so that's what stood out about the one I liked. It was more understated and seemed to be attached to the younger variant of older women (trying to mind my manners and avoid the M-word at all costs).

A few more childhood scents:

Good Ones

- Uncle John's Pancake House

- Shipley's Donuts

- Freshly Mimeographed Grade School Tests

(which were admiringly sniffed with a smile first and signed second)

- Exhaust in the Astrodome during the Motocross Races & Destruction Dirby

Bad Ones (okay to skip)

- Your unwashed dog gets caught in the rain and is let into the house

- A Yellow Taxi ride with Mr. Fletch U. Lent

Archived