HAIF@10 Contest #1 - Retro iPhone Case

editor

This is the first of what I hope to be many contests this year celebrating the first ten years of HAIF.

HAIF2002-2012Icon.png

It's incredible to believe we've been online for a decade, and I have to thank all of you, without whom all of this would not have been necessary possible.

The first contest is for an iPhone 4/4S case. It comes decorated with a vintage-style travel poster for Tranquility Park at Night, created by me.

TranquilityParkForHAIF.jpg

Since Houston missed out on the glory days of ocean and rail travel, I've created a series of travel posters promoting the city in the style of the age. I'll debut them through these contests throughout the year.

In a previous life I ran a small town radio station. My philosophy on contests at the time was that they should be easy as possible, because the purpose was to reward people for listening, not to make them feel stupid for not knowing the answers to questions. With that in mind, here is question number one:

Q: On what date (Houston time) did HAIF go online?

The first person to post a correct answer in this thread wins the iPhone case.

In keeping with the community spirit of HAIF, each HAIFer can only win once in this 10th anniversary series of contests, which will run through the end of the year. But if we have other contests, you can still enter those. Since they're not involved in any way with the contest, moderators are eligible to participate. If you have some phone other than an iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S, you might not want to enter this contest, as the case will not fit your phone and this is the only type of case the printing company I'm working with can make.

If you don't win and would like to buy one of these cases because you think they're über cool, they're $20 each, which includes tax, shipping, handling, and bubble wrap. Just let me know and I'll e-mail you a link you can click to buy (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, electronic check, PayPal).

Good luck, everyone. And thanks for making HAIF Houston's leading internet community!

Can i pass on the prize? I don't have an iphone 4/4S so it wouldn't do me much good, and more importantly since i like the contests here, i just assume keep myself eligible for participating in the future HAIF@10 contests.

The case is quite snazzy looking though, It looks good.

Edited by Highway6

Nice work, I learned something new.

Can i pass on the prize? I don't have an iphone 4/4S so it wouldn't do me much good, and more importantly since i like the contests here, i just assume keep myself eligible for participating in the future HAIF@10 contests.

The case is quite snazzy looking though, It looks good.

Ha, we should do a new question then!

Ha, we should do a new question then!

Disagree. I like contests for contests sake and take satisfaction in being correct and first.

That I have deprived someone else of the prize is sorrta tough luck... it's not like other haifers didnt have several hours to find the correct answer.

Next time.. if it's a 4/4S cover.. I'll pm editor before answering that I intend to forgo the prize in case I'm right... that way he won't call the match and others can keep answering.

Well, if you are going to pass on the prize, then I assume he would put it up for grabs again, with a new question.

But if there's a new question, I would be eligible to participate since I have not yet claimed a prize... what happenes when I'm correct and first again ?

Um, if you don't have a need for the iPhone 4S case like you mentioned, PM the answer to Wayne.

So, my lack of need for the prize should disqualify me from entering and winning the contest? Interesting viewpoint.

Um, Like i said.. for some people, the prize is the satisfaction of beating everyone else. ( Though that is tempered by the lack of particpants, but hopefully that changes in the future). I might even start to find satisfaction in depriving others of the prize.

Plus.. if you were genuinely interested in winning the prize.. you wouldn't have thrown out a random guess.

Edited by Highway6

So, my lack of need for the prize should disqualify me from entering and winning the contest? Interesting viewpoint.

...I am not saying that, I was agreeing with what you said earlier.

Next time.. if it's a 4/4S cover.. I'll pm editor before answering that I intend to forgo the prize in case I'm right... that way he won't call the match and others can keep answering.

short term memory man. . . :)

Such interesting problems you people cause...

The intent of limiting people to one win for this series of contests was to make sure as many people as possible got prizes. Since Highway6 didn't actually deprive anyone of a prize, he can still enter the contests.

As for the phone case, I'll have to think of another question.