Would you? Could you? Live in a Tiny Home

57 members have voted

1. 1. What is your 'main' homes sq footage?

• Above 5000 sq'
    • Above 2500 sq'
    • Above 1000 sq'
    • Less than 1000 sq'

I just saw this in the news and since someone posted here, I figured it was enough:

San Francisco is testing out 220sq ft. apartments.

Since everyone knows living there is insanely expensive, they hope this will allow a single person to afford their own place.

I don't recall the size of the smallest apartment I lived in, (400sq?) but man, that does sound tiny.

That's like Tokyo tiny.

I've seen layouts for single-unit 20-foot shipping containers (160 sq. ft.) that were tight but livable. The trick, I think, is to approach a floor plan in three dimensions...to think like a naval architect.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I lived in Houston I had apartments at 820, 700, and 1,450 square feet.

The smallest apartment I ever lived in was 459 square feet (not in Houston). Two people. But it was the best apartment I've had (right, Puma?). Even with all of her clothes, my wife would love for us to move back there if we could (we tried, but there's a huge waiting list).

There's far more to a making a good home than its size. If you're judging the happiness of your life by the size of your home, you're doing it wrong.

i could, but usually that means I'm spending alot of time outside or elsewhere in general (coffee houses, restaurants, bars, etc). Living in a hut in an adverse environment in the middle of nowhere sounds like punishment. Ideally I'd live in a vibrant city with a small, private residence with a private courtyard. Efficiently laid out, I could probably be very happy in 1000 sq-ft house with 500 sqft yard.

• 5 months later...

I do live small.  My primary residence is a condo that I have owned since 93 just shy of 800 sq. ft. that does not include the 8x5 private balcony or a small storage room on the ground floor.   1 bedroom, reasonable in size but a queen is it if you want anything else in the bedroom.  For such a small place it does have a decent galley style kitchen at about 10 ft. long.  I looked at a lot of other small places and most of them did not come close. Over the years the years I have come to appreciate that feature and the balcony the most.  

About a year ago my job took me south down to Corpus Christi.  I did not want to sell the condo and hated everything I looked at for rental in CC.  I finally shifted direction bought a 5th wheel RV.  Its about 32 ft long with these slide things that make it around 12 feet wide in some places.  I'm living in it M-F and love it. The people that design them really know how to maximize space and I think anyone looking to down size should take a look at them for great ideas.

But what really makes both of my living quarters great are the locations. In Houston its the heart of Montrose, what more is there to say.  In Rocport I have a front row view of Aransas Bay, that pic is from my desk/dining table where I am typing.   You just cant beat it and all of it is small or very small.

All of that said no wife, kids at home etc.does make this style of living a lot easier.

Htx

post-6602-0-26015100-1362098447_thumb.jp

Archived