Flood Control Is Taking My Inheritance

It has been a coon's age since I've posted, but I need some advice, and just my HAIFers to know what's going on.

I was born in a house in Park Place that sits on Sims Bayou. That was my home for 29 years. My parents lived their until their deaths, Dad in 2000, and Mom on June 4 of this year. To make a long story short, I get the house, land and contents. I was getting ready to have an estate sale sometime in September, when I get a lovely note today from Harris County Flood Control (herein HCFC).

HCFC owns a portion of the property, and my parents rented it for years. Now. HCFC has decided to terminate their rental agreement, and remove the portion of the property that encroaches on their land. There is only one LARGE problem. They are not sure which land is their land, and which land is my land (from California to the New York Island). They have three tools for lack of a better term (not an architect here - just an unemployed Paralegal) - metes and bounds (which is what they say they are using to condemn my property - and I am a former Real Estate agent, so I know exactly what they are, and some of the monuments have been paved over), an ariel view (which is not to scale), and a plat map that has WRITTEN on it the fact that it is BOGUS - and I have a copy of all of them.

Last Monday, the property manager called me INSISTING that I meet him in 20 minutes (I live a little farther away than that) to show him where his property is, and where my property is. Just eyeball it. I explained to him that I was an asthmatic, and I could not get out in the heat and humdity. I also told him that I knew that they were not sure which property was theirs, so they needed to have it re-surveyed. Now, here is where it gets VERY interesting. He showed interest in buying the property from me, and I was receptive. Then I get the demand to show him property lines (who could do that without a survey) and now, this letter.

So, my question is, HELP?!?!?! If they don't know exactly where their land is, then how can they take mine from me. This is all I get. I am in the biggest financial bind of my life, and we were considering moving there because the house is paid for, and the one we are in now is not.

Do I contact the media, call the jerk out on it, what do I do?

PW

Archived