METRO Kills Airport Direct Service

COUNTDOWN TO CANCELLATION OF AIRPORT DIRECT

ROUTE 500 TO RUN ITS LAST TRIP AUGUST 20th

High costs and low ridership are the driving forces behind METRO’s decision to end its Airport Direct service.

The decision was made at a public hearing last month where the community was invited to share comments on the agency’s August service changes, which go in effect Aug. 21, 2011.

Airport Direct, also referred to as route 500, launched in Aug. 2008, offering patrons express service to George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) every 30 minutes for $15 one-way.

In an effort to boost its numbers, METRO, with support from the George R. Brown Convention Center (GRB), downtown hotels and the downtown district, adjusted the route to include additional stops at hotels and reduced the fare to $4.50 from $15.

Ridership did spike following the fare decrease, but did not reach a level where service could be sustained.

"Our concern for Airport Direct stemmed strictly from the costs of the service versus revenues we could realistically achieve, not its desirability or our personal wish that it succeed," said METRO President & CEO George Greanias.

Airport Direct will run its last trip Saturday, Aug. 20.

METRO does offer another option to Bush Airport that’s easy on the wallet - the 102 Bush IAH. However, patrons should note the service, just $1.25 one-way, is not an express route and therefore should account for a longer trip time.

Why doesn't this surprise me? Believe all public transit are pretty much subsidized with tax dollars. I need to research this anew. Sad news indeed.

ALL transit are subsidized by tax dollars, not just public transit.

This service didn't work because not enough people ride public transit in general. Not many people live downtown, and it would be too slow and inconvenient to drive downtown, or take a bus downtown and transfer? That would take such a long time, compared to just driving and parking in a cheaper lot near the airport. Rail service to the airport might work better, but only if we have extensive rail service across the city, and it doesn't take too long.

This service didn't work because not enough people ride public transit in general. Not many people live downtown, and it would be too slow and inconvenient to drive downtown, or take a bus downtown and transfer? That would take such a long time, compared to just driving and parking in a cheaper lot near the airport. Rail service to the airport might work better, but only if we have extensive rail service across the city, and it doesn't take too long.

This is a test: posted here with one other individual as well. Thet have now " disappeared??? As a non auto owner it worked great for me. As som one posted all highways, transit, sidewalks etc are subsidized, why remove this one? I've ridden in lots of under utilized buses in this town. Oh well the wave of progress I suppose. :wacko:

This is a test: posted here with one other individual as well. Thet have now " disappeared??? As a non auto owner it worked great for me. As som one posted all highways, transit, sidewalks etc are subsidized, why remove this one? I've ridden in lots of under utilized buses in this town. Oh well the wave of progress I suppose. :wacko:

* thet- they (this darn iPad)

Highway projects cost hundreds of millions of dollars, and usually start at a moment's notice without any public knowledge beforehand. People don't know this.

Highway projects cost hundreds of millions of dollars, and usually start at a moment's notice without any public knowledge beforehand. People don't know this.

Actually, they cost billions of dollars. And that is true, most people don't have a clue, they think that the gasoline tax covers it all.

I just rode the airport direct today. The driver told me a few interesting things. Apparently when Super Shuttle heard about Airport Direct, it filed a lawsuit for infringement of territory by METRO. METRO chose to settle instead of fighting it, and as part of the terms, METRO was only allowed limited advertising. This is why you don't see the airport blanketed with information, or billboards around the city, or signs all around downtown. The reason large luxury buses were used is because they break down less than the regular ones. Also Greanias said he will resign if the harassment becomes too much.

It's not uncommon for private companies to take a municipality to court if the company thinks the city is getting into its business. It's very common with cable and internet companies.

I've seen a couple of times where the city has been able to continue its airport service in spite of court challenges. Usually what happens is the companies charge $40-$50 a trip, but the city operates a crappy bus at $5 with very infrequent service. The city gets to use the argument that it's providing a service for people who can't afford a private trip, and the private companies get the majority of ill-informed riders who will pay through the nose because they don't know about the alternative.

• The title was changed to METRO Kills Airport Direct Service