Utility Pole In Backyard

rhf123

Hello dear friends,

Well we may have finally found a home we like in Houston...it is a new home, build by Perry Builders...everything seems nice, except there is a utility pole in the backyard! It is towards the back and other homes in the subdivision also have them but can any of you think any major issues around this? I was considering consulting an attorney, just to cover my hide...

Also, is $71.76 per square foot reasonable for Houston?

Regards!!!!

Guest danax
Hello dear friends,

Well we may have finally found a home we like in Houston...it is a new home, build by Perry Builders...everything seems nice, except there is a utility pole in the backyard!  It is towards the back and other homes in the subdivision also have them but can any of you think any major issues around this?  I was considering consulting an attorney, just to cover my hide...

Also, is $71.76 per square foot reasonable for Houston?

Regards!!!!

Welcome to the forum and to Houston, rhf. There is going to be an aerial utility easement along the length of where those poles run, which is not unusual, although the pole is tacky. That gives the utility company the right to go back there and access their equipment when needed. Underground utilities are aesthetically superior but potentially more destructive to any landscaping one might have in case they need to dig. Check the survey before you close just to be sure what easement(s) are back there. Is this an electrical pole, cable, telephone or ??

Where exactly is this subdivision? Perry builds in so many different areas it's hard to say if that price is good or not but $72 per sq. ft. in general for Houston is reasonable.

As far as getting an attorney, after learning about some of the ways builders in Texas seem to get around taking care of problems, I would read the contract carefully and ask one if something doesn't sound right.

Well I have a pole in my backyard. The people usually ask before they go back there if they do anything, unless I am not there. Granted I have a bunch of trees and large bushes that cover it up (oddly enough in my ten years here a branch has never fallen on them, though the utility companies will trim them every several years). Also my house was built over 50 years ago, so I have no idea what to do with a builder about it.

Also is this a house you have bought, or are you just looking into it?

The pole and the easement have nothing to do with the builder at this point. The developer could have elected to install underground utilities early in the project but it is now a mute point. Don't worry about it, just check your survey to understand the size of the easment. You will need the AC that ugly pole is feeding.