Pride Houston 2011

It's the one time of year that you can feel safe on the streets

Didn't a lady get curbed stomped by an HPD mounted patrol last year at the parade? Whatever happened to that?

And how in the hell is *** such a derogatory word that it must be censored? The most harsh way I've ever heard it said was on Anchorman when he accused his friend of "sound like a ***".

Wow, I feel kinda special that so much interest has been taken in my comments :P I want you guys to know that I don't take offense to any comments made. I stand by my beliefs that a Pride parade does not advocate for equal rights but rather reinforces negative stereotypes levied against our community. I am a guy. I love college football, outdoor sports, working out and eating pizza until I hurl. I like to drink beer and expel methane. Okay, that's graphic and disgusting but I digress. I like the fact that men get credit for a great bbq when in reality it was a woman (the wife or girlfriend) that prepared the table, veggies and seasoned the meat that we bbq. My point is that is, in many ways, what makes me a guy---aside from my penis. That's important. Being male is great. And all the above comes naturally to me, my dad, uncle, grandfather and countless college buddies--both *** and straight. However, waxing your body down, putting on a pair of panties with you sack hanging out one side is seen as a spectical to a lot of people---including the very people we are begging to get rights from.

The above is my old point. Here is my new point. Why not lead by example? Why not show the world that we are human beings that deserve to have the same privileges as straight married couples. The GLBT community continuously fights over things that will not advance the cause. For example, the word "marriage." The GLBT community demands to have the right to marry. Well some states have allowed 'civil unions.' It offers the exact same hospital visitation rights, the sharing of benefits amongst one another and allows us to adopt and many other things---just like a married couple. Why do we fight over the nomenclature? Some g-a-y people are still mad that it's not called 'marriage.' My dad used to tell me that there is a way to tell somebody to go to hell without telling them to go to hell. Why not take the same logic and settle for the name change in order to have the same rights? Why do guys prance around in panties---which even as a g-a-y guy---I find disturbing. It's not fair to me....somebody who goes to work every day, pays taxes, dresses normally, speaks normally and just wants to go home to a guy who loves me unconditionally---same as any heterosexual couple. But no, my spokesperson represents everything I am not---like a drag queen. Does that just not go against nature???

I really try not to hate. I promise. But I have been silent on the issue for a long time and I feel as though I am speaking amongst a mature group here who is open minded to my thoughts. I think at the end of the day, I believe everybody should share in the same equalities as everybody else. However I am guilty of something that MLK spoke about: "for it is not the words of our enemies that we remember but the silence of our friends in the face of opposition." I know I have not been supportive of the g-a-y cause but until I see a community that can have a monogamous relationships, longevity in those relationships and a change in attitude amongst the community, I can't partake in such events. I know in my heart that the day when we can hold hands with our loved one in public without being chastised is approaching---just like white and black couples can now do. Mark Twain said that the challenges in life make it interesting. It's overcoming them that makes it meaningful. I am cautiously optimistic that the ideals in my community, that I am apart of by force---not choice, will realize that pushing or forcing something not fully understood, ie religion, politics or sexual orientation, is a sure way to create far more foes than friends.

Wow I'm really happy I started this thread!!

First paragraph... you describe you. If that is the way you are, then great!! You can be *** and not have to live or adhere to some large hyperbole persona... there's nothing wrong with that. But the point of Pride in my opinion is to celebrate the *** community in all of it's shapes, sizes and colors. As outlandish and as ridiculous as it may seem to some of us, for many *** men and women they feel more comfortable in skimpy shorts or in drag. It's just the way they are. They wake up in the morning dressed as "regular people" and all they can think about is the next pair of six-inch heels to buy. The crazy thing is (quote Lady Gaga) they were born that way, just like you were born the way that you are.

I think when you talk about gays leading by example, you're missing the point. We are doing so, and more people are doing that everyday. But I don't feel the need to have to conform to current society in order to lead by example. My example is that I am a good man, and that I care about my community and my city. I mean we've got one of the best "examples" in the country right now in Annise Parker... elected mayor of one of the largest cities in the country, in a commited relationship with her partner, and they raised three kids together. AP is literally the religious right's worst nightmare. That is AN example that should be set, and I'm so glad to have people like AP doing it. But for others the example is to show society that it's ok to be ***... whatever *** means for you.

IMO the *** pride flag and colors encompass the whole rainbow because the *** community is so diverse... much moreso than the straight community. The only thing that GLBT people have in common is that they like members of the same sex. Beyond that, every type of person you can imagine can be ***. All races, all religious backgrounds, all social segments... you name it. Pride SHOULD BE a time for us to put aside our differences and just celebrate the one thing that we have in common.

Just so you know, I'm more like you in that I don't dress in drag or anything like that. You're just as likely to catch me at Lucky's Pub (by the ballpark) as you would at JR's. I view myself as a regular guy, but I am very thankful for all of those in the *** community that are brave enough to show who they really are. We have come a very long way in 42 years (since the Stonewall riots).

It's a cute mural, but geez, talk about stereo typing. It's a good thing we G's have a sense of humor.

Are the X's what the vandals did?

That and the checkmark.

It might have been stereotyping, but that is literally what the bar was known for. Including Mr. Balls.

That mural sums up all my above posts.....classic.

Breaking: You guys will be happy to know that I have opened my mind just enough to attend the festivities at Discovery Green tonight. I figured with it being a family oriented atmosphere, it shouldn't be too outlandish. If any of you are going, I'll be the "straight" guy you see walking around with a military crew cut---or close to it.

My wife and I caught the last 20 minutes of the parade and were able to rack up 6 bead necklaces, 3 mini frisbees, and 2 glow bracelets.

I'd say the most obscene and disgusting car/float there was the one with Queen SJL on it.

Archived