Cell Tower Property Value Impact

brian0123

I was wondering what the impact of cell towers are on property values within urban Houston (not the suburbs). Think of places like Montrose, Midtown, Washington Avenue, etc. where you have a bunch of townhouses and nearby empty lots. If a landowner of one of those empty lots decides to let a huge tower go up on it (say 100+ ft)... does that impact nearby property values at all, or is it not a big deal because there are already towers everywhere else in the city?

Edited by brian0123

I was wondering what the impact of cell towers are on property values within urban Houston (not the suburbs). Think of places like Montrose, Midtown, Washington Avenue, etc. where you have a bunch of townhouses and nearby empty lots. If a landowner of one of those empty lots decides to let a huge tower go up on it (say 100+ ft)... does that impact nearby property values at all, or is it not a big deal because there are already towers everywhere else in the city?

As people become more dependent on cell technology for their home and data services, the towers become a necessary evil. I would expect that companies would be more inclined to build on their own land instead of paying "rent" to someone and be under the mercy of a building that is prone to forces outside of their control.

But would having a lousy cell signal also have an impact on the price of a home?

Then again, River oaks and Memorial park has lousy reception. At least, according to this service: Link.

As people become more dependent on cell technology for their home and data services, the towers become a necessary evil. I would expect that companies would be more inclined to build on their own land instead of paying "rent" to someone and be under the mercy of a building that is prone to forces outside of their control.

Actually, land prices tend to increase when density and taller buildings are warranted, and the owners of tall buildings frequently will lease out the roof for cellular infrastructure. You'd be amazed at how common that is among office buildings, in particular.

And remember that commercial leases can have all kinds of crazy terms in them about penalties for early termination or other circumstances.

• 4 months later...

Usually the cell towers are on roofs and it's usually the highest roof in the area, so you probably wouldn't even see it. The thing I hate is when they try to disguise a cell tower to look like a tree in the suburbs. They remind me of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.

in kingwood/forest cove, they added a cell tower that doubles as a flag pole. quite ingenious I would say and if you didnt know better you would just think we are an extremely patriotic neighborhood, which I guess we are - another story.

given the choice of the flagpole vs. fake tree I would take the flagpole everytime. only issue is keeping the flag in good shape.