Corner Of Fry Rd. And Mason Rd.

Gidge

Im not sure where exactly you are talking about because Fry Rd. and Mason Rd. do not connect. Can you tell us what building it is by perhaps?

And welcome to the forums.

Fry and Mason intersect at the far south end of Cinco Ranch, about a mile north of FM 1093. The corner I'm wondering about is diagonally across from Beck JH.

Yes, it's kind of odd but Fry Rd curves and starts pointing due west and eventually intersects with the Grand Parkway. Not sure why they did it that way. Something that is desperately needed in that area, by the way, is an extension of Barker Cypress south of I10 through Bush Park to Westheimer Parkway and the Westpark Tollway. This could take a lot of traffic off I10, since motorists would have access to several other east west routes. I understand the Corps of Engineers won't let the county build a road there. As it stands now, the only direct north south route between Hwy 6 and the Grand Parkway is Mason Road. Business on the Westpark Tollway will suffer as a result.

Yes, it's kind of odd but Fry Rd curves and starts pointing due west and eventually intersects with the Grand Parkway.  Not sure why they did it that way.  Something that is desperately needed in that area, by the way, is an extension of Barker Cypress south of I10 through Bush Park to Westheimer Parkway and the Westpark Tollway. This  could take a lot of traffic off I10, since motorists would have  access to several other east west routes. I understand the Corps of Engineers won't let the county build a road there.  As it stands now, the only direct north south route between Hwy 6 and the Grand Parkway is Mason Road.  Business on the Westpark Tollway will suffer as a result.

I actually agree with this. Part of the problem with traffic in the western stretch of developed Harris County is that they built the two reservoirs (Addicks and Barker)

and didn't really gauge how much the area around these two dams would grow. Roads were cut off and now you have development all around these areas but with limtied access to main arteries such as the Katy Freeway or even Westheimer.

FWIW, I was told by a friend who works for HCTRA that there is a serious effort to secure funding to built an extension of Memorial Drive west to Kingsland Blvd. And of course, as part of H-GAC's overall mobility study, they've looked at building a toll bridge across this section of the George Bush Park. I've not heard anything concrete about this idea, though, beyond that.

• 3 months later...
Yes, it's kind of odd but Fry Rd curves and starts pointing due west and eventually intersects with the Grand Parkway.  Not sure why they did it that way.  Something that is desperately needed in that area, by the way, is an extension of Barker Cypress south of I10 through Bush Park to Westheimer Parkway and the Westpark Tollway. This  could take a lot of traffic off I10, since motorists would have  access to several other east west routes. I understand the Corps of Engineers won't let the county build a road there.  As it stands now, the only direct north south route between Hwy 6 and the Grand Parkway is Mason Road.  Business on the Westpark Tollway will suffer as a result.

where is there room for business along the westpark tollway? I think it is just a commuter corridor is it not?

Yeah,

Westpark won't have anything except for at FM 1464 wich is already developed with a Kroger. The other spot would be at the GP, but there are plans for an evential stack interchange there.

The extension of Memorial Drive and Barker Cypress is part of the City of Houston Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan. The Barker Cypress link I think is critical.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yes, it's kind of odd but Fry Rd curves and starts pointing due west and eventually intersects with the Grand Parkway. Not sure why they did it that way. Something that is desperately needed in that area, by the way, is an extension of Barker Cypress south of I10 through Bush Park to Westheimer Parkway and the Westpark Tollway. This could take a lot of traffic off I10, since motorists would have access to several other east west routes. I understand the Corps of Engineers won't let the county build a road there. As it stands now, the only direct north south route between Hwy 6 and the Grand Parkway is Mason Road. Business on the Westpark Tollway will suffer as a result.

The reason is because the Barker R. would stop Fry Road, so Fry Road curves along the border of it.

• The title was changed to Corner Of Fry Rd. And Mason Rd.