Old Gas Stations

Hey y'all...does anyone know of old gas stations that are for sale...or maybe a good place to look for them? I am talking about old Magnolia, Humble, Shamrock, Texaco stations...they usually are white stucco.

Even if you dont know where any are, or who to talk to about finding them...maybe someone has some pictures of some around Houston? I have seen a lot on the internet from all over the country...but would love to see some recent pictures of ones in the Houston area.

Thanks!

Guest danax
Hey y'all...does anyone know of old gas stations that are for sale...or maybe a good place to look for them? I am talking about old Magnolia, Humble, Shamrock, Texaco stations...they usually are white stucco.

Even if you dont know where any are, or who to talk to about finding them...maybe someone has some pictures of some around Houston? I have seen a lot on the internet from all over the country...but would love to see some recent pictures of ones in the Houston area.

Thanks!

I don't know about ones for sale, although I think that old one in Midtown might be, or is it the one in Montrose off of , Fairview I think? Not sure on that but I do know that probably the best surviving collection would be on the East End. Hard to tell what brand they were originally. On the East End, there's one on Leeland near Dowling I think, one on Harrisburg at Lockwood, and a couple on Canal including one that is Spanish Mission or Colonial, a popular style during the 20s and early 30s. There are a couple of photos posted here in a topic called Still Standing. They've all been turned into other businesses now, of course.

Very cool pictures! I love all that decco stuff as well. I wish there was more of it all over the city...not just the East End (not that I have a problem with that part of town). I was actually down on harrisburg ave. last weekend and saw the gas station there.

I wish there was a realtor that specialized in these old buildings...its tough hunting down the owners sometimes. but I guess that can be part of the fun.

More pics please :)

It's not like there would be a multitude of these to select from. Very few of what you describe have survived. There may be some complications or issues related to the underground tanks as well if you found one. Heavy emphasis on finding ONE. Out of the few that have survived you would have to find one that someone wanted to sell. It would be a true needle in a haystack so I wouldn't expect to have a "selection."

that said, here is one: MLS# 717703 under lots for $275,000

Cool...thanks for the tip off. Looks like he is selling the land for that price...not so much the building. yeah, I agree, these are not exactly growing on trees. What I am definitely interested in finding are free standing buildings that are historical (not registered historical sites per se)...such as Gas stations, fire stations, banks, warehouse/fabrication, mechanic shops...perhaps old recording studios or tv studios (i know in houston that is obviously a small chance vs. LA, NYC, Chicago and Nashville). Stuff that has some style. Doesnt have to be in the "cool" parts of town...can even be in the burbs...like Spring, Klein, etc.

I tried contacting jeff trevino (realtor that has a lot of properties represented in mid town, heights, etc)...but havent heard back from him since he is "working on it." I guess I should call him.

Oh and for anyone interested, the Fire Station #3 on Houston street is for rent. My folks, brother and I went and looked at it and met the owner...just to see what it was like. Very nice guy...and very cool space!

I loved looking at all those art decco type buildings...I would love to see more of those, mid-century modern (googie or whatever), spanish colonial, etc.

Guest danax
This one was for sale at the time of the photo (11-04). I called them and the woman said 150K but she very quickly let me know that that was just the asking price. It was being used as a church. My first thought was what a cool recording studio it could be with the block construction and the ultra-cool rounded, glass block face. It's on Canal west of Wayside, I believe, which I know is not the side of town you're really considering.

Hey y'all...does anyone know of old gas stations that are for sale... or maybe a good place to look for them? I am talking about old Magnolia, Humble, Shamrock, Texaco stations...they usually are white stucco.Thanks!

there is really small one across the street from station gallery (1502 alabama) -- no photo but it's nifty.

Danax...I am not necessarily ruling out any particular part of town...however, most my friends and family live west of 45...kind of like to be close since our beloved Houston is so damn big! But will consider anything.

I have seen that building for sale, I think on the har site. can't remember the price though. Since its a church, I am assuming there is a large open space...which is great for a studio.

In a city the size of Houston...with a music history (zz top, kings X, ghetto boyz, and a lot of country and blues)...I am sure there are some old studios around...finding them, well that is gonna be tough. I mean, I know of some recent studios that are now out of business...but those are in business parks.

So that is why I am considering other types of buildings. Cool help so far!

edit...just saw it on har...it is $175k. Saw some interior shots...pretty spacious. Interesting.

There is an old gas station for sale at the corner of Waugh and Welch in Montrose. The lot includes a good size, but possible beyond repair, 2-story house. There is a sign on the property with a phone number to call - and I believe it says the lot is 17,500 sq ft. No idea of the price, but I would expect it to be north of $350k.

I used to live down the street from the property, when it was "Benny's Garage". I've heard all kind of stories about it - that it was the first gas station in Houston, that Bonnie & Clyde robbed it, etc.

Architecturally it's more of a "Craftsman" style place, though. I did drive by one day and saw them lifting the old tanks out of the ground.

Pretty cool. Wish there was a picture of it. That is a lot of money...but I guess a steal for that much land in that part of town. I will have to drive down there and check it out.

Does anyone here know of any old recording studios in town...I mean pre 1975??? Even if they are gone, would love to see pictures. Even better if they are still around!

David