Vacant Residential Lots - East End

I am considering the purchase of a residential lot in the East End. I understand the areas between Broadway and the seawall had less problems during Ike. Any suggestions on which area to focus on would be appreciated. Lot size is not as important as location.

That is true. Areas around Austin Middle School, behind the Galvez Hotel and on west behind Gaidos and Ft. Crocket did not sustain flood damage. Finding a vacant lot that one would consider building on is another story. The Galveston city building permit process is notoriously slow and deliberately hostile to "do it yourselfers" and "out of towners".

The contractor who built out our store originally and then again after Hurricane Ike swears that he will never return to do another job on the island. And he was born and raised in Galveston BTW.

• 1 month later...

That is true. Areas around Austin Middle School, behind the Galvez Hotel and on west behind Gaidos and Ft. Crocket did not sustain flood damage. Finding a vacant lot that one would consider building on is another story. The Galveston city building permit process is notoriously slow and deliberately hostile to "do it yourselfers" and "out of towners".

The contractor who built out our store originally and then again after Hurricane Ike swears that he will never return to do another job on the island. And he was born and raised in Galveston BTW.

I sent an letter to Mr. Jaworski, the new mayor, congratulating him on his new position and I commented on the challenges of building in Galveston and reputation of the Planning Department. I received a very nice letter from him stating that he and the new council were well aware of the situation and they were working to resolve it. The letter was encouraging.

Archived