70 years ago today

tomv

Exactly. For once, we agree. :)

So, how come this idiocy is still allowed - or permitted, in the sense of a city permit?

Does the ADA not apply to Houston?

Well there are lots of reasons. Legacy is the big umbrella problem:

1) Even if the City changed the rules tomorrow, that wouldn't change very much. Most new feeder road development doesn't happen within the city limits.

2) And a rule like that would give an irreplaceable competitive advantage to old retail centers over new retail centers, making them less attractive for redevelopment and undermining the case for new retail development. It feeds back into property tax revenue.

3) Road patterns in suburban areas don't have a neighborhood grid, and what's there is there, so there'd still be a reliance upon touch-and-go transit along feeders to generate pedestrian activity. And that makes for a kind of chicken-and-the-egg scenario. Who'll upgrade first? The City, METRO, or the private landowner? History indicates that none of these entities get along with or trust the others; it takes the prospect of a new stadium to bring these entities together in good faith.

4) ADA applies to Houston. It's been a thorn in my side, personally, for some time now. But pedestrians do not disabled persons make.

one thing I remembered yesterday as I drove down highway 3 to head to my nearest entry point for i45, there's a railroad track that goes along the side of this road for almost its entire length, whether there were feeders on 45 or not, this would severely hamper any buildup of consumer businesses on hwy3.

That was just an example. They'd probably build somewhere else nearby, then.

not having a car is a disability...

I guess it isn't defined by the ADA, but still...

There was a guy standing in line at the drive up window at my bank this morning. Funny thing was, the lobby was open. Go figure.

Archived