Tax bill = Appraisal Notice?

Yankee_in_TX

I was reading HCAD's I-File info. Does my tax bill have the info I need to protest, or will a separate appraisal notice come in the mail?

Thanks!

The 2010 appraised values haven't yet been published and the protesting deadline has long-since passed for the 2009 values, so i-File isn't an option for you at this point in time. A separate notice of appraised value will come in the mail when the 2010 values are published.

• Like 1

Judging by your tag, you wouldn't even be able to protest the taxable value of you home for the year of 2009 since you just bought it. You will have to wait until next year.

P.S. This is also when you could apply for Homesteaders Exemption and any others that you might qualify for.

Edited by SaintCyr
  • Like 1

Oops - plus one to you both. HCAD needs to update their site (it all says 2009). Yes, I meant 2010 smile.gif For 2009 I was stuck with the previous owner's appraised value $20k above what I paid.

I think to answer your original question tho... They will send you a notice in the mail saying your property appraisal has been realized by the city. Then you need to protest if you think the appraised value is too high. You should have no issues with a protest especially when they see the sale price of the house last year. They dropped mine with no issue. You should be able to do all this all online.

• 2 months later...

For those with a lot of protest experience - 3 houses in our development identical to ours were sold within the last 9 months. I think our was the lowest closing price.

The appraised value, however, is about $20k over our sale price. Should we JUST use that value in our protest or should we include our neighbor's closing prices which may be as much as $5k above ours?

HCAD usually doesn't send out notices until April (maybe late March) which is why their site still shows your 2009 value... then like everyone has said, once you get that notice you can protest your 2010 value.

I got my 2010 appraisal notice in the mail yesterday. I had a similar situation when I bought my house in '92, $13,000 less than appraised value. I took the closing statement in and they said they can't argue with that. Took about 4 minutes once I got face to face with someone. This was before online protests.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain the fuzzy math? When our tax bill was higher than expected, our mortgage jumped a disproportionate amount. Now that it is back down, it has been lowered a disprportionate amount.

Expample - projected property taxes lowered $2000. This is $166.67/per month

Our mortgage is going down almost $300.

Huh? I am missing something in the math here....

Can someone explain the fuzzy math? When our tax bill was higher than expected, our mortgage jumped a disproportionate amount. Now that it is back down, it has been lowered a disprportionate amount.

Expample - projected property taxes lowered $2000. This is $166.67/per month

Our mortgage is going down almost $300.

Huh? I am missing something in the math here....

Only 7 months left in the year to make up the difference.