Ad-Free HAIF Is Back!

editor

It's been about eight months since the option to remove banner ads from HAIF was, itself, removed because of software upgrades.

Now I'm happy to announce that Ad-Free HAIF is back!

For as little as $5, you can know the wonders of surfing HAIF free of banner advertising. What does it look like? Something like this:

post-1-12620988786546_thumb.jpg

Schweeeeeet.

To celebrate the return of Ad-Free HAIF, I'm extending the 2008/2009 rates into the first month of 2010:

• $5 for one month
  • $25 for six months (That's like getting one month for free!)
  • $50 for a year (That's like getting two months for free!)
  • $500 for a lifetime (Yes, we do have people who use this option)

These prices are subject to change after January 31, 2010.

I'll try to answer the most common questions here. Feel free to ask any remaining questions you have down below.

How do I subscribe to Ad-Free HAIF?

It's easy. Just click the Nope icon WeeNoAds.png near the top of any HAIF page. Or click the drop-down menu from your user box at the top of the page and select "Purchase Paid Subscription." Or just CLICK HERE.

Is it really ad-free?

Well, to be honest it's mostly ad-free. What Ad-Free HAIF does is remove the graphical banner advertisements -- most notably the three big ones at the top of the page and the big one at the bottom. What Ad-Free HAIF doesn't do is remove individual forum text sponsorships. For example:

post-1-12620996803347_thumb.jpg

The SYVP text sponsorship remains even after you've subscribed to Ad-Free HAIF. The reason for this is that forum sponsorships are handled in a different system than ads and I don't have the technical smarts to turn them on and off on a per user basis. But since it's a text sponsorship, most people don't mind seeing it anyway.

Does Ad-Free HAIF run better/faster/smoother than regular HAIF?

For most people, yes. Dumping the banner ads means fewer DNS lookups, fewer items to load, and no animations for your browser to display. In fact, the slower your internet connection, and crappier your computer is, the more you'll benefit from Ad-Free HAIF.

How much money do you make from Ad-Free HAIF?

Not much. After credit card fees and other processing charges, a one-month Ad-Free HAIF subscription brings in maybe a buck and a half. But the point isn't to make money. It's to give people the option of interacting with HAIF on a different level. One they may find superior to what they've used until now. It's like radio station contests. The station makes the questions easy because the whole idea is to make winners, not to keep things away from the public. This is part of an outreach program, and also a useful way to deal with people who complain about the ads on HAIF. Don't like 'em? Crack open your wallet, Fester.

How can I pay?

Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, PayPal, and personal checks are all accepted.

Can I get a refund?

Well... I guess. On a six month or one year subscription I can refund the portion you haven't used, minus the credit card fees. There are no refunds on the one-month subscriptions because, honestly, after the credit card and processing fees there isn't much left to refund.

Can I give the gift of Ad-Free HAIF to another HAIF member?

Sure! That's a great idea. Just sign yourself up for Ad-Free HAIF and then send me a note via PM or e-mail letting me know you'd like to transfer your newly purchased subscription to another member. It's easy!

Archived