How to light a gas lamp post

Feel like an idiot...was adjusting the brightness on my exterior gas lamp post, it went out, and now I can't figure out how to light it! HELP?!

ohmy.gif

If yours is like mine, then you have to attach one of those gauzy things to the tip, and then just use a lighter stick to light it, as gas is always being emitted. It's a pain for sure, so I try my best not to mess with it.

• 3 weeks later...

If yours is like mine, then you have to attach one of those gauzy things to the tip, and then just use a lighter stick to light it, as gas is always being emitted. It's a pain for sure, so I try my best not to mess with it.

The gauzy thing is called a mantle that you can pick up at any outdoor place that sells camping equipment. They're used for propane and white gas lanterns. At least I think its the same thing from inspection of my neighborhood gas lamp posts.

On a related note, bought a house earlier in the year that has one of these gas lamp posts but it's not on/working. Didn't really think too much about it until recently and now trying to figure out how to make it working again. Don't see any sort of knob/switch on the post itself. Anyone have experience with getting one of these working again? I've noticed some people in our neighborhood have switched the lamposts to an electric setup.

I got mine going...at least half of it. For some reason, one doesn't fully light up, it just "glows" at the base. Both mantles are still like new, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Had to turn up the pilot with a screw driver (side of the base of the lantern) and then removed a glass panel and lit both sides. I'd been afraid to do that before, so thank you for letting me know that's how it is done!

smile.gif

The gauzy thing is called a mantle that you can pick up at any outdoor place that sells camping equipment. They're used for propane and white gas lanterns. At least I think its the same thing from inspection of my neighborhood gas lamp posts.

On a related note, bought a house earlier in the year that has one of these gas lamp posts but it's not on/working. Didn't really think too much about it until recently and now trying to figure out how to make it working again. Don't see any sort of knob/switch on the post itself. Anyone have experience with getting one of these working again? I've noticed some people in our neighborhood have switched the lamposts to an electric setup.

Camino South, in Clear Lake, used to have gas lamp posts. My dad still owns the home he bought in 1985... some time, however, between 1987 and 1988... the gas lamp post just disappeared. Don't know what happened to it. Many others in the neighborhood - also gone. I doubt the gas lines were ever capped off. I don't recall there ever being an on/off valve. Whatever you do... do not strike a match if you are in Camino South...

I don't recall there ever being an on/off valve.

Where i used to live, the small diameter line (maybe 3/8") for the gas lamp was teed off at the base of the gas meter, it had a shutoff right there, and then it ran underground to the front yard.

Archived