High Speed Rail in Texas

dfwcre8tive

SNCF, operator of France's TGV, unveiled their proposal for the Texas high speed rail line.

http://transportationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/09/french-interested-in-texas-hig.html

"From Yonah Freemark on the TransportPolitic blog:

At $13.8 billion in construction costs, SNCF expects benefits to outweigh public infrastructure costs by 170% over a period of 15 years. This project would have the highest rate of return of any of the corridors profiled in the studies presented here.

Quoting now from the proposal, as posted on a federal website:

Speeds of up to 220 mph for HSR services are expected to generate a significant number of new trips as well as draw from the air and auto modes. Access to HSR services for both residents and visitors will be convenient due to 7 proposed stations conveniently located close to medium and large city populations, city central business districts and airports to attract residents, providing convenient and cost competitive alternative to driving and air travel.

This HST 220 concept keeps pace for a further complete Texan HS network ("Triangle" or "Tbone" type) involving Houston, once the pertinence of HS services proven. Meanwhile, the existing corridors will serve as key feeders."

Full DFW-San Antonio Proposal:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/20231126/Rail-Plan

Souhwest Airlines might get upset again although there's more than enough auto traffic to divert to high speed rail.

Texas would really show the nation to be a leader in this venture.

Who could blame them? They have 38 dollar fares(38-48) one way in 45 mins you're in dallas. They have hourly or so flights to and from Kdal/khou.

Souhwest Airlines might get upset again although there's more than enough auto traffic to divert to high speed rail.

Texas would really show the nation to be a leader in this venture.

I thought Southwest's goal was to get long haul flights out of Love Field? Wouldn't this "free them up" to focus on markets that don't include Waco, Temple/Killeen/Fort Hood, Austin, and San Antonio (and in the future Bryan/College Station & Houston)? I think Southwest should embrase this instead of push it away. The capacity of Love Field wont expand even though the terminal will. SWA is already operating at Love's capacity with short flights and the few long hauls it can run. Let SNCF run those markets in Texas and SWA can focus on expanding outside the Lone Star State. Same thing goes for San Antonio & Austin. The majority of their traffic is within Texas so now they will be able to expand to other states/regions.

I think Houston (along with Bryan/College Station since it's on the way) should lobby for a branch East from Temple or Waco. SNCF mentions it it's business plan about a future segment but I think an additional 6 million people would surely add to the system's ridership and increase ridership from the I-35 corridor between the metros.

I thought Southwest's goal was to get long haul flights out of Love Field? Wouldn't this "free them up" to focus on markets that don't include Waco, Temple/Killeen/Fort Hood, Austin, and San Antonio (and in the future Bryan/College Station & Houston)? I think Southwest should embrase this instead of push it away.

Your hypothesis might be plausible...if any of the routes proposed for high speed rail included a direct connection to Love Field or Hobby Airport. Otherwise, not only does SWA stand to lose market share on transporation within Texas, but it will face a severe competitive disadvantage on long-haul flights.

Your hypothesis might be plausible...if any of the routes proposed for high speed rail included a direct connection to Love Field or Hobby Airport. Otherwise, not only does SWA stand to lose market share on transporation within Texas, but it will face a severe competitive disadvantage on long-haul flights.

By then Love Field and DFW will both be connected via DART to Union Station.

Archived