New To Forum...moving Home

Hey Y'all...this is my first post on this forum. I am glad that I found it though. Very cool website that covers so much info...neighborhoods, urban density/sprawl and decay/exploration...way cool!

So I grew up in NW Houston...more specifically in the shadow of what was then Compaq Computer...up the road at N. Eldridge (was Addicks Fairbanks for a long time) and Louetta rd. Moved to Austin in 95 for college at UT. In 2000 ended up in Houston for a year again...then moved to Washington DC (specifically between Petworth and Columbia Heights) for a year. After that I moved back to Austin and have been here since. So basically off and on in Austin for a decade.

Anyways, I own a recording studio here in Austin as well as a record label. Well, Austin has been changing for the past 5 years...some in a good way...some in a bad way. I have decided to close my studio here and move back to Houston.

I am trying to find a studio to work out of, or a job at a community college/universtiy doing audio work. However, what I really want to do is re-open my studio in Houston. I figured the real estate forum would be the best place for this...but I might (assuming the admins dont mind) post it in the "other Houston" section too.

So, I am looking for property to buy to put my studio in. However, there is a catch. My brother and I also restore classic cars and we are looking for a place to do this at...like a warehouse. So we thought we could kill two birds with one stone and find a warehouse/industrial building...stand alone, maybe 2-5000 sq. ft. that has at least one overhead garage door, but also with either an already built out office area or something similar. The actual built out part where I would put the studio would only have to be 1000 sq. ft. at a minimum.

We would love for this to be in one of these areas (but will consider others): Heights, Montrose, Oak Forest, Spring Branch.

I was thinking that an old Fire Station...or some sort of warehouse used for fabrication would be great. Its so hard to find a concise listing of properties in Houston (or I havent come across it).

We are hoping to spend $100-150k.

And anyone that might know of some jobs recording music or managing a studio for a school...PLEASE let me know!

There are several links in my sig that show my businesses and some demo stuff. Feel free to contact me at david@republicstudios.com

Thanks!

David

Have you tried talking to the "Art Institute of Houston" in possible direction of the question you are seeking?

I went there and we had a few classes in music but my focus was video production. But I was thinking perhaps someone there could lead you in the right direction.

THE college for the recording profession here is San Jacinto College -- specifically the Main Campus in Pasadena.

The studio there has been written up in national trade magazines as among the best in an academic environment. I did not attend school there, but have used their facility in my professional work, producing radio spots.

As for a $100-$150k warehouse for your own joint, I would scratch the areas you mention off your list and focus on the East End.

Good luck and welcome home!

Hey yall...thanks for the replies. I have only really checked out HCC (which has several studio facilities), UH, North Harris...did try the Art Institute, but didn't see much there. If I can't find a gig like that...I will probably just free-lance out of someone elses studio until I decide to re-open mine.

I would think that there is still some affordable stuff in Spring Branch and maybe Oak Forest...but maybe I am wrong?