Power off 6 days before closing

Yankee_in_TX

As the jack-a$$ (can I say that on this board?) seller continues to be a jacka$$ his tenant apparently moved out some time prior to Wednesday. As such, the power was shut off Wednesday. We became worried when we were asked if we had transferred utilities into our name a week before closing. I said we're working on it, but they need to revert to the seller until the day of closing (why would we pay utilities for a house we don't own?!?!?).

Anyway, I am worried about the fridge (mold, mildew, water draining onto the wood floor), unsure how the cleaning crew will work without power, possible problems with appliances when the power is turned back on and worried about crime.

There is a CHANCE the power will get turned on the day of closing, but it may not until the day after.

What would you do as the buyer to best protect yourself from possible issues?

As the jack-a$$ (can I say that on this board?) seller continues to be a jacka$$ his tenant apparently moved out some time prior to Wednesday. As such, the power was shut off Wednesday. We became worried when we were asked if we had transferred utilities into our name a week before closing. I said we're working on it, but they need to revert to the seller until the day of closing (why would we pay utilities for a house we don't own?!?!?).

Anyway, I am worried about the fridge (mold, mildew, water draining onto the wood floor), unsure how the cleaning crew will work without power, possible problems with appliances when the power is turned back on and worried about crime.

There is a CHANCE the power will get turned on the day of closing, but it may not until the day after.

What would you do as the buyer to best protect yourself from possible issues?

Nevermind, the poor seller's agent is footing the bill for temporary power which can apparently be turned on next day.