Elks Lodge At 5230 South Willow Dr.

EEKWestMeyer

When I was a small child in the late 1970's, I took swimming lessons at the YWCA near or on S. Willow. It was called the Peden Y - and I loved it. I also took tumbling classes there...and as I recall it was partically housed in a ramshackle house like structure. I enjoyed running around the building - and I recall that there was a bar area with a soda gun that from time to time actually worked. I recall sneaking off behind that bar area to try to snag a soda. It closed when I was child - and I never understood why. Later my parents joined the ELKS lodge - and our family would go there to swim every summer. I tried to look up the ELkS lodge on a google map recently - and I noticed that it had vanished with barely a trace. I last visited the Elks Lodge sometime in the 1990s. The Elks Lodge was located on S. Willow....the Peden YWCA was near S. Willow - but it wasn't on S. Willow. Does anyone have any information about The Elks Lodge or the Peden YWCA????

When I was a small child in the late 1970's, I took swimming lessons at the YWCA near or on S. Willow. It was called the Peden Y - and I loved it. I also took tumbling classes there...and as I recall it was partically housed in a ramshackle house like structure. I enjoyed running around the building - and I recall that there was a bar area with a soda gun that from time to time actually worked. I recall sneaking off behind that bar area to try to snag a soda. It closed when I was child - and I never understood why. Later my parents joined the ELKS lodge - and our family would go there to swim every summer. I tried to look up the ELkS lodge on a google map recently - and I noticed that it had vanished with barely a trace. I last visited the Elks Lodge sometime in the 1990s. The Elks Lodge was located on S. Willow....the Peden YWCA was near S. Willow - but it wasn't on S. Willow. Does anyone have any information about The Elks Lodge or the Peden YWCA????

Most property on Clematis has been bulldozed for the Willow Water Hole. I believe the old YWCA building is still there. I also used to take swimming lessons there as a child.

The Elks lodge also razed awhile back. Some of those properties go back decades... you can see houses back to the 40s & 50s on old aerial photos.

• The title was changed to Peden YWCA & The ELKS Lodge On S. WIllow?
  • The title was changed to Elks Lodge At 5230 South Willow Dr.

Archived