Westpark Tollway Gaining Traffic?

I passed by the Westpark tollway within the past few days at both rush hours and noticed a steady stream of traffic. That compares to the scattered vehicles that seemed to be normal just a few months ago.

I've also been told by people who live on the corridor that traffic has increased substantially in the last few months and inbound AM traffic is now backing up on the eastern end, particularly at US 59 and also at the terminus near Loop 610. The single lane of traffic underneath US 59 seems to be the big problem.

If this is true, we can probably look for the tollway to become jammed up in the future, especially when it is opened up all the way to the Grand Parkway.

Has anyone seen or heard evidence to corroborate my suspicion?

If true, this would definitely be good news for HCTRA since the tollway was looking like a loser for its first 6 months.

I haven't seen any traffic jams on the tollway, but during rush hour, sometimes two vehicles up front will slow down in tandem and blockade both lanes of traffic. Because of this limited space, cars tend to queue up behind them.

If it becomes a cash cow, will HCTRA try to upgrade it? I think it was a mistake to not use the whole Westpark corridor plus the railroad corridor. It looks wide enough to handle more lanes, plus Metro's light rail. There's some crazy stuff going on at Eldridge, plus that long-awaited north and south Kirkwood connection looks like it is completely blocked.

This would put all the naysayers away about that tollway. I knew the facility would become popular eventually. I wondered what woud happen at US 59 and at the Post Oak Terminus.

Is the the Westbound end jammed in the afternoon? I'm thinking maybe not since you have more places to exit westbound for outbound evening traffic. Eastbound you have really three exits until the Beltway 8 interchange is completed. You have Post Oak Terminus, Westpark by I-610, and US 59.

I'm thinking you'll see inbound improvements before outbound improvements.

I like seeing it used. I personally think it is quite expensive for the short distance I would use it for so I just use Westpark Rd. Therefore I am quite happy they didnt use the whole corridor for the tollway.

I've been driving on it more often now. In the mornings there is sometimes a 'back up' around 59, but its not like you have to stop, more like slow down to 30 or something. I think once I had to stop. Theres also a nice steady stream of cars inside of 59. In the afternoons its not as bad. But since there are only two lanes, if you have two people holding everyone up at 55-60 mph it creates a slow down. I swear people want to go 80 on that road...not me of course.

I think once it is opened up to FM 1464 the traffic should pick up nicely.

How are they coming along with the portion west of SH 6. I haven't been by there in a couple of months. I do know that they are going to build soudwalls for the subdivisions that asked for them along some portions such as Twin Oaks.

There's still a lot more work to do. But recently they opened up the 'feeder roads' between 1464 and where Alief Clodine and Westpark converge. Also they finally replaced that stupid stop sign at 1464 with a traffic light. I only travel as far as 1464 so beyond that I have no idea.

• 2 weeks later...

when i moved to the west end (westchase) in december i noticed the tollway too. it did seem rather deserted, even at hours that i would have thought to be high traffic times. lately, i have noticed even more traffic on it. i have no 'proof' (just eyeballing it) but i think it is being used more.

i do not use it, instead just using the regular westpark road.

I think Westpark road is sufficient for people that live between the Beltway and US 59. Outside the beltway, the Westpark Tollway seems to make sense. This is part of the beauty of having both roads. The added capacity is there and Westpark Road won't be overloaded.

cool,

Whenever I used it I found it really hard to follow the 55mph speed limit. And if I did follow it people would be passing me all the time.

I used to use the Westpark Tollway when I visisted some one who lived off of Eldridge north of Westheimer. I lived by Kirby and Westhiemer. That facility made my trip so much faster. Just exit off of US 59 and then exit off to Westpark Tollway. The facility I think is more useful than people gave it credit for when it was planned and then opened.

Archived