Steps for replacing an entry door

Hi,

Can anyone detail the steps for the cheapest, easiest way to get and hang a replacement entry door. I need to replace my front door, replace rather than refinish because the glass is badly cracked. I want to do this (obviously!) as cheaply as possible, while still having a nice door which would fit in in our suburban neighborhood.

Everywhere I look online I get confused. What does the frame refer to in pre-hung doors? Currently the hinges are attached to a wooden frame which I don't want to replace. If I bought a used or scratch and dent door and hoped to just get it hung on the same hinges, say by a local handyman (or ourselves) would I be asking for trouble?

Ideally I want to buy a door and get it installed in one hit but have no idea where to go. I don't want to pay Home Depot prices.

Would appreciate any help!

Thanks...

You might as well be asking the door to throw itself onto the hinges. B)

Many times doors come pre-hung (or with the frame) which means you rip out your door and frame and install the new one, usually with shims (and plenty of know-how), then replace the molding around the door frame. (The frame is all the wood around the door that holds the door up)

The other way to buy doors is in slab form. They come without mortised areas for hinges and no holes for your door knob and lock. I personally think this is the easier way to DIY. But, if its your first time expect to spend a LONG time installing it. You will have to take many precise measurements, mortise the hinges, possibly shave or rip the bottom of the door, hang the door, and drill the holes for the lock and knob.

You will certainly be asking for trouble trying to hang a used door. Actually, the trouble will be in finding one that will work, not the actually hanging, but most likely you will have to get into bondo and skilled refinishing for it to look right.

There are plenty of guys that will hang a slab door for $100 to $150 and it is usually well worth it.

It sounds as though the only problem is the glass? If that is true why not just replace it? If it is a good solid wood door, then there is usually no reason it can't be salvaged. Have some tempered glass cut and replace the broken area or the whole insert.

Edited by rbarz

Thanks, that is just the type of information I was looking for.

It looks like I have two options - replace the glass or get someone to hang and finish a slab door.

You are right, if I could get a door to just waltz up here and throw itself into the hinges, I would be happiest ;-)

It's a pain, the one I have still works, it just looks really really ghetto.