24 Hour Fitness Gyms

I noticed recently that locations which were close in proximity to each other are shuttering recently.

24 Hour Fitness - Hayes. 11320 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77077

24 Hour Fitness - Sugarland. 9920 Highway 90A, Suite A, Sugar Land TX 77478

In addition to the Campbell "Active" location that was torn down when the Katy Freeway expanded.

24 Hour Fitness - Campbell. 1000 Campbell Rd, Houston, TX 77055

None have been replaced.

The Galleria location is being upgraded to a "Sport" I believe too, opening this October.

24 Hour Fitness - Galleria. 5080 Richmond Ave, Houston, TX 77056

No HBJ news or anything about the closures. And these are "Active" level clubs closing, which leaves mostly "Sport" level clubs left.

Anyone have an insight what's going on and why they closed them now after many years of operating both. Are they letting "Active" members upgrade for free?

Didn't we go through this back in the 80's when there was a club on every corner? Too many clubs chasing too few dollars, and the competition with LA fitness, Lifetime, Fit, and Bally's (in bankruptcy) is likely forcing them to cut costs to stay competitive. Large, feature-laden gyms are the trend, and they cost a lot to build and maintain. In order to provide the number of classes and amount of equipment patrons expect, they need to achieve better economies of scale.

not sure about all the ones listed, but the one in Sugarland was in bad shape. It really appeared to be a temporary gym...all the equipment was used/old. The free weights all had a bit of rust, and duct tape was on some of the benches. It was also extremely hot...like they didnt want to turn on the ac.

not sure about all the ones listed, but the one in Sugarland was in bad shape. It really appeared to be a temporary gym...all the equipment was used/old. The free weights all had a bit of rust, and duct tape was on some of the benches. It was also extremely hot...like they didnt want to turn on the ac.

I believe it is closed down for good. Btw, why is 24hr Fitness not really 24hrs though?

I believe it is closed down for good. Btw, why is 24hr Fitness not really 24hrs though?

If they don't get enough traffic to support the need to be open 24 hours, or if there is another gym that is already open 24 hours nearby, like the Galleria area, then they will close.

But that is usually on weekends.

Most are open 24 hours during the weekdays.

I noticed recently that locations which were close in proximity to each other are shuttering recently.

I know they closed a basic location further west of this to open a large new location in an old Randalls at Dairy Ashford. I would imagine so many members would rather go to a new location than an old location like Hayes that they were losing too much money at that location to justify keeping it anymore.

That, and I personally saw at least a dozen cars get broken into in the two years I was a member there. That's a rough parking lot.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not too concerned reading this list.

The Hayes location on Westheimer was very close to to other 24hr fitness on westheimer. i always wondered why there were three on that stretch.

The former Campbell location I believe is near an Active that I go to a lot on Blaylock just north of I10.

You didn't list the new ones that have opened..... the one in midtown is great.

This location moved down the road to 12400 Westheimer, a much bigger, nicer facility.

24 Hour Fitness - Sugarland. 9920 Highway 90A, Suite A, Sugar Land TX 77478

They had two locations on opposite sides of Hwy 90, within a mile of each other. Stupid. They merged them into one location.

24 Hour Fitness - Campbell. 1000 Campbell Rd, Houston, TX 77055

This location moved north a few blocks to Blalock & Westview.

Re: "None have been replaced"

They were either replaced, upgraded nearby, or consolidated. Just good business sense.

• 2 months later...

The new gym had it's soft opening over the weekend, the grand opening is going to be in 3 weeks.

A comment though, it claims to be the 33rd new gym in the Houston area, yet it is only replacing the gym a few doors down. They could have worded it better as an improvement, rather than an addition.

Archived