Does ANYONE on here actually bike/take mass transit to get places?

81 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you bike or use mass transit?

• Never... whether it be my job, the grocery store, or just hanging out, I am car-dependent
    • Sometimes... I own a car, but I like to commute by bike or transit occasionally
    • Half/half... I bike/ use transit about half the time,
    • Most of the time... I own a car, but try to drive it as little as possible!!
    • Always... I don't own a car, or the one I have I never use it

There is no reason to be ashamed of caving into buying a car, you gave it a great effort and ultimately found out it wasn't for you.

Driving out for dinner is fine, as long as you don't drink and drive. If you do then you will find out it IS the price of a small car to get you out of it.

I'm curious as to what kind of car you got, though.

thanks!

I got a 2004 BMW 325. used of course, with 60k mi. I didn't want a car note again, so I didn't want to go too high but I wanted something reasonably nice. I looked at different more eco-friendly options, including the Smart car...but surprisingly a USED smart car was around the same price range as the BMW, and what you get in one vs. the other is like comparing apples to monkeys! Other cars like the MINI were just out of the question in terms of prices vs. what you get.

I felt I was being somewhat good, improving my gas milage by about 50% when compared to my old suv. B)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sooo, I feel so embarrassed... but I have to admit that I couldn't go longer than 2 months w/out a car. I just got a new car this week. For the most part, I had everything figured out, but it was hard doing the going out/dinners/bars thing. Dressing well and riding on a bike was out of the question, so that meant taking taxis and the cost/benefit of taking taxis or having a car was about the same.

However, now that I was able to be car-less for a period, I have realized how little I need it, so I think I will keep up my biking.

CRITICAL MASS TONIGHT!!

heh, well I guess it depends on the type of bars and restaurants you go to for dinner ;-)

myself, I like the woodrows kind of places, and I can roll up all sweaty in some shorts and just hang around and not feel like everyone is looking at me like I just killed a cat and ruined their world view of life.

different times of the year you can find a good pace to be moving quick enough without dripping sweat, but this time of year, even at 2am if you go over 100 yards on your bike, you're going to be drenched in sweat no matter what speed you go.

my problem is work, it's out past the beltway, and the distance traveled isn't a big deal, only 12 miles, there's even a shower on the first floor of the building, but the thought of riding my bike down highway 3 gives me cold sweats. So I happily drive to work, and dream of the day I can safely ride my bike to work.

I'm happy to spend the rest of my time on my bike though.

My wife and I like inside the loop (near West Gray and Waugh) and only have one car. I take Metro to work downtown everyday, and it's very easy, as I have three bus route options that are convenient (lines 3, 48 and Allen Parkway Special). Very little walk to and from stops, 10 minute bus ride, no transfers. The wife works from home, so she doesn't drive much either. We put maybe 10 miles a week on our car....hardly enough to justify buying a second car.

Archived