Flood Plain

rbarz

• 1 month later...

To me the issue is not whether it will flood. The problem is dealing with city if there is a fire or you want to do repairs. Personally that is what makes me avoid the floodplain.

Que? There is no problem dealing with the city if you are in the 100yr flood plain only the flood way. The rules for complying with Chapter 19 for greater than 50% value repairs and footprint expansion only come into play if your home is in the flood way.

I completely understand why you would want to avoid the flood way... your house could flood every 30 days; but avoiding the 100 yr flood plain is different. I haven't avoided it, and wouldn't avoided it if I had it to do over again... and I will be saying the same thing if my house floods tomorrow.

Que? There is no problem dealing with the city if you are in the 100yr flood plain only the flood way. The rules for complying with Chapter 19 for greater than 50% value repairs and footprint expansion only come into play if your home is in the flood way.

I completely understand why you would want to avoid the flood way... your house could flood every 30 days; but avoiding the 100 yr flood plain is different. I haven't avoided it, and wouldn't avoided it if I had it to do over again... and I will be saying the same thing if my house floods tomorrow.

Really? Not me. I've helped too many people with flooded homes, after Ike. One person, her home flooded THREE times in the past 10 years. Still determined to stay right there... because that's where the kids grew up. Problem is... the kids left the house over a decade ago... you could really do yourself, and your kids a favor... by moving! At the end of the day, it's only a material possession... and nothing more.

I am guessing about 2 feet above sea level. Maybe 5 feet.

What? Where could that be besides Galveston? 2 to 5 feet in houston would flood every time it drizzeled

my lot varies between 24 and 56 ft. The slab is at 56 ft and flooded during allson. The ravine bottom is at 24 and always has water in it.

Is it really possible to be at 5 ft or less in Houston? Either way that has to be a floodway and not a floodplan.

• 1 month later...

i just bought a house in the 100-year flood plain within walking distance of white oak... it didn't flood during allison...

so, i'm paying extra in insurance to leave in the only area in houston where you can get 5 bedrooms / 3,000+ sf / 3 car garage for under $200k... and only 3 miles from the loop.

What? Where could that be besides Galveston? 2 to 5 feet in houston would flood every time it drizzeled

my lot varies between 24 and 56 ft. The slab is at 56 ft and flooded during allson. The ravine bottom is at 24 and always has water in it.

Is it really possible to be at 5 ft or less in Houston? Either way that has to be a floodway and not a floodplan.

Maybe near the Turning Basin or Brady Island, but yeah I'm curious about who would build something at that elvation too.

• 2 months later...

Personally my issue with the flood plain has nothing to do with the water. Yeah it might flood. I am more worried about it burning down and then having to deal with the city to rebuild it. As was talked about you can try and fight the city but its alot easier to just buy the house next door.

• 3 years later...

That is an excellent way to pose the question... it probably should be a risk vs. reward type determination.

I already own a home in the 100 yr flood plain. I live on a ravine that feeds into White Oak Bayou. The home flooded during Allison, but never before or after. I do the same thing you do for a living flipper and I had searched for a ravine lot for 2 years before I found this one... And when I mean search, I mean every single day! I even actively sent letters to homes that were not on the market--which is how I got mine. My rewards heavily out number my risks or hassles. I pay for flood insurance so I only have to worry about the inconvenience and cost. The cost is negligible at 0.16% of the properties value per year and the inconvenience a flood would cause me would only come from irreplaceable items lost because, I would likely make money on any flood claim and update my home in the process. My rewards impress me every day... I live on a lot that could be a park! I would have a tough time selling it for double what I paid.

I will have to consider if I lived on a regular lot if it would be worth it. I'll think about and get back to you. cool.gif

Rbax....I am looking a buying new construction also on a Ravine that feeds into White Oak Bayou.  I'm very concerned about being in the flooplain.  The builder will be building the home on a slab with a pony wall to raise it up 3 feet.  Any thoughts.  How is flooding in the area during bad thunderstorms etc.  This would be a big investment for me and I want to make sure I am making a good decision.

Archived