Hendley Market Reopened!

The reopening won't be total -- the announcement refers to a "slimmed-down" market, and it will only be open on weekends for the moment.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/20...ket_reopens.php

Hendley Market, La King's and the Railroad Museum were my favorite things on the Strand. Glad to see at least one of them is finally reopening.

That said, when I was in Galveston last weekend it looked like they were making some great progress at La King's finally. :)

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/20...ket_reopens.php

Hendley Market, La King's and the Railroad Museum were my favorite things on the Strand. Glad to see at least one of them is finally reopening.

That said, when I was in Galveston last weekend it looked like they were making some great progress at La King's finally. :)

Glad to hear it. I was down there first weekend in May and the Strand was jumpin'! Free parking was nice, but it was crowded. Didn't look like much was going on at La King's and the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory was full to bursting. Glad I got outa there before the junior high band came in. Peanut Butter Warehouse was gutted, my guess is it won't be back.

There was an article in the Galveston Daily News in January about how La King's was definitely planning to re-open but they had to send some of their very-old-school candy and drink machines to Chicago for rebuilding. OF course that article said they'd try to be open by spring break and I didn't see much in there besides studs, columns, and the original signs. I thought Col. Bubbies was going to make it, but then the Colonel died a month or so ago, so we'll see.

Sheeats, you probably already know about Laura Elder's Buzz Blog in the Galveston Daily News, but it seems to have the most up-to-date info about G-town re-openings and stuff.

Laura Elder's BuzzBlog

There was a big event today in downtown Galveston, in conjunction with the annual "Art Walk". It apparently is highlighting the openings of various businesses. It started on Post Office St. around noon with activities moving to Mechanic, the Strand and then Harborside this evening. Apparently people can get a sneak look inside the Tremont House which is going to reopen Monday. The Olympia Grille apparently opened today also.

Archived