Construction and builder opinions wanted

Ok, we're leaning towards the following property (we've narrowed it to two). If anyone has any opinions as to the construction, etc., please share!

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...%20B%20W%2023rd

I have been unable to find the builder on TRCC...? It makes me nervous he is not listed on TRCC AND the company address appears to be a residential apartment. Any advice? I would feel nervous buying a home without having more to go on than an individual 'builder...?'

Titan Homes

Khan, Aman

9940 Richmond Ave

Apt # 1001

Houston, TX 77042

US

Of course, we would only agree/can only afford to a price much below list, so everything else may be moot in the end.

Thanks!

1600 sq feet and 3 stories...now thats alot of walking. Whats with the wierd bumpout on the last pic? They are using every inch of possible footage. I dont understand why you would pay that much, for such a small house on such a small lot?

Is the exterior stucco supposed to be pockmarked? Also, some windows have interior trim and some don't? All materials in there look to be "builder grade", but that is to be expected. The brass ceilings fans look a little out of place, which can be easily remedied, but, again, could be an indication of building on the cheap ("I got a great deal on some fans...").

Look very carefully at the finish on the stucco (especially around windows) and on all the concrete you can see. If you see excessive cracks or waviness walk away as this is an indication of cheap construction...and stucco and foundation problems are what can cost $$$ in a few years on these townhomes. There is a trail of tears on HAIF by people who have been burned by water intrusion issues.

I would ask to see other homes built by this builder, or at least more background information on him. Often, small-time builders will set up a "sham" company to build one group of townhomes and then close down that company as soon as the last townhome is sold. This limits their liability and makes it virtually impossible, in Texas, to pursue claims against the builder.

Is the exterior stucco supposed to be pockmarked? Also, some windows have interior trim and some don't? All materials in there look to be "builder grade", but that is to be expected. The brass ceilings fans look a little out of place, which can be easily remedied, but, again, could be an indication of building on the cheap ("I got a great deal on some fans...").

The pock marks are intential. Windows seemed to very from window to window (if that makes sense) - not sure why. I have no idea how to tell the difference between quality materials and materials that only look quality. I figure my inspector can discuss that with me.

Look very carefully at the finish on the stucco (especially around windows) and on all the concrete you can see. If you see excessive cracks or waviness walk away as this is an indication of cheap construction...and stucco and foundation problems are what can cost $$$ in a few years on these townhomes. There is a trail of tears on HAIF by people who have been burned by water intrusion issues.

I saw water intrusion in one of the closets of one of the units. I am a lawyer who has seen a lot of those issues, so that makes me nervous. Unsure if there was an internal leak of it was water intrusion.

I would ask to see other homes built by this builder, or at least more background information on him. Often, small-time builders will set up a "sham" company to build one group of townhomes and then close down that company as soon as the last townhome is sold. This limits their liability and makes it virtually impossible, in Texas, to pursue claims against the builder.

No info on BBB or TRCC. My understanding is a bulder MUST be registered on TRCC to build residential homes. We may call him and ask for his TRCC number. I am aware of three 'subdivisions' by him, maybe 20 units all total.

Edited by Yankee_in_TX

If it was me, and I saw evidence of water intrusion - external or internal - I would walk away right now. The fact that no attempt has even been made to cover it up should be an indication of the builder's quality standards. There are a ton of other townhomes on the market.

If you decide to pursue this unit, before moving forward with anything else, just ask an inspector to come out with a moisture meter and have him check the walls.

Urrgh - did more digging. Owned by an LLC which is a general partner in a limited partnership. The LLC is on the tax records for roughyl 20 properties. My wife really likes the look and feel of the place, otherwise I wouldn't keep digging/asking. But I think we kind of know at this point buyer beware (i.e. ruuun!).

The guy could be stand up, but much safer to buy from an established builder...

Apparently the 'builder' is Stately Homes: http://www.buildstately.com/builder-connections.html

Titan is the 'developer.' Can someone explain how this works? Titan does not have a TRCC number, and though the Realtor keeps telling us to Contact Titan's principal, and Titan built the homes, when we ran the TRCC she supplied it brought up Stately - this was the first we had heard of or seen them...!?!?

Also, anyone know anything about ACES Warranties? Seems like they contract out their new home warranty work:

http://www.acesbuilderswarranty.com/home-o...rogram-info.htm

Edited by Yankee_in_TX

Instead of posting yet ANOTHER thread, I will post in here, I hope people read it. I think we may have found a place. we fell in love with an HHN (GREAT price, just too small) and that 'Titan' home, but in the end my wife's gut said 1600 sqft is TOO small. She's right.

We found a place on 25th (funny, in January I laughed at a home down the street and said 'we'll never live this far north') w/ 2100-2200 sqft (depending who you believe), 2001 brick construction with 2 small yards.

The previous inspection report (I think 2005) shows a little of water intrusion around a lot of windows, a sloping floor in 2 areas (floor joyce problems?), and possible grading issues that would lead to flooding (and led to water intrusion through 1 1F side door during Ike).

Anyone have a killer inspector they reccommend?

Also, if a report comes back with those issues - who do you call for estimates? A landscaper for grading, an engineer for the floor, a contractor for the windows? Or is there some kind of 1 stop constrcution fix shop?

Thanks for everyone's patience with my 500 questions!

PS Anyone know how to determine how long a home has been on the market?

Edited by Yankee_in_TX

Instead of posting yet ANOTHER thread, I will post in here, I hope people read it. I think we may have found a place. we fell in love with an HHN (GREAT price, just too small) and that 'Titan' home, but in the end my wife's gut said 1600 sqft is TOO small. She's right.

We found a place on 25th (funny, in January I laughed at a home down the street and said 'we'll never live this far north') w/ 2100-2200 sqft (depending who you believe), 2001 brick construction with 2 small yards.

The previous inspection report (I think 2005) shows a little of water intrusion around a lot of windows, a sloping floor in 2 areas (floor joyce problems?), and possible grading issues that would lead to flooding (and led to water intrusion through 1 1F side door during Ike).

Anyone have a killer inspector they reccommend?

Also, if a report comes back with those issues - who do you call for estimates? A landscaper for grading, an engineer for the floor, a contractor for the windows? Or is there some kind of 1 stop constrcution fix shop?

Pfister for leveling sloping floors and he may do or have names of good folks for grading. My neighbor just had his house leveled by Pfister (I used Pfister in 2000), graded, and new windows so I will get his contractor's name. They have done a really nice job.

I live in the high 20s in the Heights in what is called East Sunset Heights, and I love it.

Edited by EMME

I would recommend George Szontagh at 713 528 1848 as a home inspector.

I presume this home is built on a concrete slab? Is it the ground floor or upper floors that are sloping? There is not a lot you can do about sloping floors in a slab on grade house without spending $$$.

Pfister mainly deals only in pier/block and beam houses.

If the sloping floors are unchanged since the last report it may have just been settling. If they have gotten worse (if it is possible to tell) you should walk away.

I would still contend that there are way too many townhomes in the price range of the earlier unit to settle for anything with problems. Flooding, water intrusion and soil stability problems can be extremely expensive and frustrating to deal with.

Days on market should be available to any realtor with access to the MLS.

Edited by cwrm4

dont use George as an inspector.

Since this is a public forum, why? I have used George twice and have been very happy with him - didn't sugarcoat anything.

I used one of the larger firms once and got a report basically prepared by the selling realtor.

I would recommend George Szontagh at 713 528 1848 as a home inspector.

I presume this home is built on a concrete slab? Is it the ground floor or upper floors that are sloping? There is not a lot you can do about sloping floors in a slab on grade house without spending $$$.

Two spots in the upstairs. The house is on a conrete slab. No foundation issues listed in the last report. Are upper floors some how fixable? Or generally if they haven't moved in 4 years, not a huge concern?

Pfister mainly deals only in pier/block and beam houses.

If the sloping floors are unchanged since the last report it may have just been settling. If they have gotten worse (if it is possible to tell) you should walk away.

Good to know.

I would still contend that there are way too many townhomes in the price range of the earlier unit to settle for anything with problems. Flooding, water intrusion and soil stability problems can be extremely expensive and frustrating to deal with.

I agree. We won't buy anything needing mega-repairs. But after researching 100's of homes and seeing 40+, lol... We figured something had to give. Originally we gave on location (Shady Acres instead of Washington) - but then the houses we liked were too darned small, so we gave on exterorior (brick instead of stucco) to gain 600 (useful) sqft.

Days on market should be available to any realtor with access to the MLS.

Hrrrmm. Another downside to not using a realtor :)

Edited by Yankee_in_TX

Pfister for leveling sloping floors and he may do or have names of good folks for grading. My neighbor just had his house leveled by Pfister (I used Pfister in 2000), graded, and new windows so I will get his contractor's name. They have done a really nice job.

I live in the high 20s in the Heights in what is called East Sunset Heights, and I love it.

Any other names for grading/sloping floor/window issues?

We're close to moving on this house and want to have a contractor lined up for estimates if the inspector we hire comes back with the concerns reflected in the 2005 report.

EMME, can you PM me that info? Thanks!

(sorry to have 2 threads goin!)

• 3 weeks later...
Yankee_in_TX,

Any updates?

Yes, sorry. I try not to create more threads about me so some times I post updates in different threads. Everything went well. Other than maybe the roof, we're not going to renegotiate. Because the seller has a tenant, he is having to pay her to break her lease and pay us for a longer loan lock. I don't think he's willing to pay much more.

For the sordid details, read on. ANYONE'S opinions are welcome.

Inspection went well. The exterior/grading issues can be fixed with some hard work (or landscapers, if cheap enough). It is a matter of soil that has built up (and the house settled), and pavers on one side built against the house above the foundation line. We will probably take out the row against the house and put rocks in or some kind of drain. The three exterior (not front) doors need to be carefully sealed and painting upkept b/c they are above both soil level and floor level.

Thre are two problemsome joists making for catywampus floors in part of the master bdr and dining area. We will worry about this (if at all) after moving in.

The inspector said the window water intrusion issue, as best he can tell, is a result of the single paine aluminum windows sweating - we can either replace the windows or just make sure the painting is kept up with.

The HVAC system does not have (I forget the term of art) the flap/valve to divert air flow b/t upstairs and downstairs (such that the downstairs thermostat does nothing). We'll have that done after we move in.

We are trying to get a roofer out Monday, the inspectors couldn't get a look at the roof and suspect a leak in one spot. This is the only issue, in our minds, that would take us back to the negotiating table.

• 9 months later...

(I'll try to post a pic this weekend)

Those 'dream' stucco homes we were looking at now have massive water staining (where runoff has either cause mold or turned the stucco black). I am SO glad we bought what we did.

As fancy as those homes look, I can only imagine the upkeep on the stucco/paint.

• Like 1