I've gotten hairy recently, having stopped shaving or getting haircuts about five months ago. It worked out well for the first three of those months, however uneven growth of my beard makes me look a little like an Islamic fundamentalist. And when I'm out kayaking wearing my black boonie cap, I've been told that I look Amish. The excess fluff needs to be gotten rid of, and I need to be made presentable.

Can anyone recommend some good barber shops that do tasteful beard trimming in addition to kick ass haircuts? The normal places I go just aren't consistent enough for me to trust them with detail work to facial hair.

I've gotten hairy recently, having stopped shaving or getting haircuts about five months ago. It worked out well for the first three of those months, however uneven growth of my beard makes me look a little like an Islamic fundamentalist. And when I'm out kayaking wearing my black boonie cap, I've been told that I look Amish. The excess fluff needs to be gotten rid of, and I need to be made presentable.

Can anyone recommend some good barber shops that do tasteful beard trimming in addition to kick ass haircuts? The normal places I go just aren't consistent enough for me to trust them with detail work to facial hair.

Yikes! :o You must take photos prior to your grooming.

I was speaking with a neighbor yesterday evening. He goes to a Barber Shop on Richmond, in a strip center. I'm guessing it's about the 1400 or 1500 block. He doesn't have much hair like you, but they do trim his beard.

Yikes! :o You must take photos prior to your grooming.

It was a sight to behold. The last happy hour was a couple of months ago, so I can only imagine what our hairy unemployed Niche looks like now.

While I am a fan of facial hair, I would suggest clean shaven for job hunting. I think he would look good with longer hair up top, though. He could go for that missing Jonas brother look.

OK, there was your Friday afternoon, unsolicited grooming advice. I'll shut up now.

It was a sight to behold. The last happy hour was a couple of months ago, so I can only imagine what our hairy unemployed Niche looks like now.

While I am a fan of facial hair, I would suggest clean shaven for job hunting. I think he would look good with longer hair up top, though. He could go for that missing Jonas brother look.

OK, there was your Friday afternoon, unsolicited grooming advice. I'll shut up now.

Grooming advice is welcome.

I've considered going back to clean-shaven, but I got an amazing number of compliments in the first couple of months on the beard. And my facial structure makes me look younger than I really am (and I'm still pretty young, which says something), which is a kind of double-edged sword in an interview.

My hair is pretty long up top right now, but that's problematic because there's a subtle curl to it and I can't keep it under control when the wind picks up. I always end up with little brown devil horns or something to that effect. Also, if not for the tendency to curl upward, I'd be shoulder-length at this point. So no, the mane must be tamed.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to go to Reynolds in the Village. Old school place with a tiny TV on a barrel that used to show Rockets games when they were on. Fell victim to high rents and the owner retired but one of the women who worked there opened up her own place on Brompton - Brompton Hairworks, in a wee strip mall just south of Holcombe. I can recommend her only because she's cut my hair for ten years.

I used to pay a lot of money for a stylist haircut every couple of weeks from the same lady every time. I needed an 'emergency' cut and dropped into the local franchise cutter a block form the house and had them cut it using clippers instead of scissors. "Number 6" for me all over then just clean up. It looked fine, cost less and now that I use that method it does not really matter who does it. It's pretty hard to screw up.

That said, I do like a little independent shop down in Seabrook run by 3 Asian ladies. $10.00 gets a cut, eyebrow trim and a neck massage.

Archived