I need a new front door. Any recommendations on places/websites to buy them at good prices (other than the obvious home depot/lowes). Thanks.

Gulf & Basco

solid mahogany 1/2 or 3/4 lite for $700

We bought a custom wooden door from Cambridge Doors and Windows a few years ago. People always comment on it when they visit for the first time and it still looks as good as it did when we bought it.

The one thing I need to warn you about is that the guy that we dealt with (the owner, I think, can't remember his name) declined to quote us a final price in the store (we had a rough idea from the sticker) and said he needed to come to the house to measure and inspect the existing jamb before he could tell me the cost. So he showed up to measure a few days later and got REALLY pissy when I told him that despite his trip to my house I had never committed to buy anything because I literally had received a firm price from him 10 seconds beforehand and needed a chance to sleep on it.

Nonetheless, my wife called him a few days later and smoothed things over and we got the door for a great price and have been very pleased.

Glass Craft on Brittmoore Rd. It is a company truly worth recommending! They have their own factory, it's family run and their doors are both beautiful and very well made. And often, there are some wonderful deals to be had in the clearance section of their show room.

For great deals on discontinued models, seconds, scratch and dents, head to the far left rear of their showroom. if you don't see what you like, ask. They are really great there.

The founder's granddaughter works there and told me that they started as a Tiffany-style lamp shop in Houston many decades ago. It shows in the craftsmanship and in some of their styles of doors.

Glass Craft's site

Archived