Monitor on the Fritz

I use an iMac G5. It was bought in 2005. A few months while on Google Earth, the monitor suddenly...changed.

When I got back to the desktop, I found slight blue lines running through light areas, and a general "fuzziness" caused by gray lines caused on the monitor. A few days ago it resurfaced. Now colors rarely show as they're supposed to (all whites are now a retina-burning light blue-white striping). It's harder to tell when one is far away, but the problem causes problems in other programs (i.e. SimCity 4). Even after turning the monitor and computer off for two days, it won't fix. What do I do? My folks won't repair it...is there ANYTHING I can do, or am I screwed?

I use an iMac G5. It was bought in 2005. A few months while on Google Earth, the monitor suddenly...changed.

When I got back to the desktop, I found slight blue lines running through light areas, and a general "fuzziness" caused by gray lines caused on the monitor. A few days ago it resurfaced. Now colors rarely show as they're supposed to (all whites are now a retina-burning light blue-white striping). It's harder to tell when one is far away, but the problem causes problems in other programs (i.e. SimCity 4). Even after turning the monitor and computer off for two days, it won't fix. What do I do? My folks won't repair it...is there ANYTHING I can do, or am I screwed?

1) Try a different monitor cable. This would give you a better idea if the problem is internal to the monitor, or external.

2) Try a different (test) monitor. If the "test" monitor also has the same video problems as your original, and if you have tried a different a different monitor cable, then the problem is likely with your computer.

3) If the problem *is* with your monitor, then I would still call Apple service and ask them what your options are.

4) If any "PC" monitor can be used with your Apple, then your in luck because "PC" monitor prices just drop and drop. I'm always seeing 21.5-22" flat screen monitors for approx. $159 or so (IMHO really good). And smaller screen sizes are even less expense.

I would advise to never to go inside a monitor (unless you are a trained service tech), there are high voltages that in there that can hurt you.

Please let us know the outcome. :)

-Gary K

1) Try a different monitor cable. This would give you a better idea if the problem is internal to the monitor, or external.

2) Try a different (test) monitor. If the "test" monitor also has the same video problems as your original, and if you have tried a different a different monitor cable, then the problem is likely with your computer.

3) If the problem *is* with your monitor, then I would still call Apple service and ask them what your options are.

4) If any "PC" monitor can be used with your Apple, then your in luck because "PC" monitor prices just drop and drop. I'm always seeing 21.5-22" flat screen monitors for approx. $159 or so (IMHO really good). And smaller screen sizes are even less expense.

I would advise to never to go inside a monitor (unless you are a trained service tech), there are high voltages that in there that can hurt you.

Please let us know the outcome. :)

-Gary K

The iMac G5 has no monitor cable. It's an all-in-one unit.

Call AppleCare and the people there will give you a repair estimate. If you got the extended AppleCare warranty (I always do and AppleCare always takes care of me), you should be able to get it replaced.

If you don't like the estimate you got from AppleCare, schedule an appointment at the Genius Bar. Sometimes people who actually see the problem (especially if it's a defect) are more sympathetic with free repairs or replacements.

Before you bring your computer to the Apple Store, be sure to back up all of your data in case they want to give you a replacement. I don't think they'll migrate your data to the new machine.

I'd say your chances of getting it fixes for free are about 50/50. I've had Apple repair or replace some pieces that are out of warranty that were malfunctioning clearly through no fault of my own. The only time I've had Apple deny me a free repair (in or out of warranty) was a latch on a PowerBook that snagged on my sweater and broke off.

The iMac G5 has no monitor cable. It's an all-in-one unit.

Yes, I see that now. I was trying to be helpful. I am admittedly PC-centric and Mac-ignorant. :)

Editor, I think you provided good advice. I would add, for the OP, "don't give up" on trying to get it fixed for free, or even for a fee.

If the G5 has value, then I don't understand why his parents would not be willing to help fund the repairs.

-Gary K

Yes, I see that now. I was trying to be helpful. I am admittedly PC-centric and Mac-ignorant. :)

Editor, I think you provided good advice. I would add, for the OP, "don't give up" on trying to get it fixed for free, or even for a fee.

If the G5 has value, then I don't understand why his parents would not be willing to help fund the repairs.

-Gary K

Hopefully it won't be too much to fix, but I suspect it might be.

For my problem with the latch on my PowerBook, Apple wanted $650 to fix it. Well, not actually FIX. It was just going to replace the entire monitor portion of the computer.

A G5 is much easier to fix than a laptop, so even if he has to pay hopefully it will be less.

On the other hand... since he's a student... he can get a new MacBook for $949 that blows away his current iMac.

If money's super-tight there's an all-in-one 17" iMac that he can get through his school for $899. Again, blows away his 2005 model.

Or if money is super duper tight, my wife just got an ASUS netbook for $179. Can't tell you if it's good or bad, as it hasn't arrived yet.

Well, I did some research and my problems are much more akin to Graphics card problems than Monitor problems...there was a recall...which ended before the monitor went wrong.

I think the graphics card was done in by the roaring processor, which roared during Google Earth time.

Well, I did some research and my problems are much more akin to Graphics card problems than Monitor problems...there was a recall...which ended before the monitor went wrong.

I think the graphics card was done in by the roaring processor, which roared during Google Earth time.

So, what are you going to do? Are you going to see if the graphics card can be replaced?

You know, this is really easy for me to say, but Apple could score huge points by helping you fix this for cheap or free, esp. since there is a known issue WRT the recall of that board/part.

Otherwise, like Editor points out, it is very inexpensive to go "PC" (new) these days ...

-Gary K

Archived