Legislative Situation Looks Grim

I reviewed the status of all the transportation related bills in the Texas legislature, and things are looking quite grim for anyone hoping that legislation will slow down the toll and Trans-Texas corridor juggernaut. Bills that have not had a hearing at this point are most likely dead or in serious trouble.

Rep. Krusee is chairman of the House Transportation Committee, and he is part of the toll conspiracy and appears to be blocking anything that could be at odds with Governor Perry's toll agenda. To his credit, Krusee has been advocating indexing the gas tax to inflation, but the Austin American Statesman (AAS) reports that bill is practically dead and Krusee's other big bill to subsidize more toll roads is alive.

Nothing is happening in the Senate with its bills.

Alive

1. Krusee's bill to remove the $800 million cap on TxDOT's annual contribution to tollways. If this passes, this would open the gates for more tollways and more money spent on the Trans-Texas corridor.

Appears to be Dead

1. Anything to rein in the Trans-Texas Corridor (several bills)

2. Bills to stop tolling of freeways (HB 3363 and others)

3. Bill to allow regional gasoline tax by regional mobility authorities (definitely dead per AAS)

4. Anything to place restrictions on toll road authorities

On life support

1. Bill to index the gasoline tax to inflation

So right now, in spite of numerous opposition efforts, the governor is maintaining a grip on the legislature via his toll henchmen and things are going to get worse before they can get better. My view is that as long as Perry is in the governor's office, the toll and corridor juggernaut will roll on. Opposition groups will have to do their work at the local level whenever possible - but that won't help on the Trans-Texas Corridor.

Has anyone heard anything that is in disagreement with my conclusion?

Kay Bailey Hutchinson: We Need You!!!

Max did you see anything about the CTC sponsor legislation that would require toll road authorities to hold public meetings and take public input.

The CTC seems to be garnering big support from community leaders here in Houston outside of the County Commisioners Court.

Max  did you see anything about the CTC sponsor legislation that would require toll road authorities to hold public meetings and take public input.

There is a bill to require TxDOT to provide a complete listing of potential toll projects. It has passed the House. It isn't clean to me if it would require more public meetings - my first impression is no. (See analysis below)

In terms of bill that have moved beyond the filing stage, I don't recall seeing any relating to public meetings for toll roads. And if a bill is not at least scheduled for a public hearing, then it is most likely dead.

As you may have seen, anti-Trans Texas Corridor forces are planning a demonstration in Austin. I'm not sure how productive that will be if the the committee chairmen are going to prevent the bills from even getting a hearing.

H.B. 962

By: Krusee

Transportation

Committee Report (Unamended)

BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE

The transportation improvement program is the process by which metropolitan planning organizations around the state list the transportation projects planned for a three year period. Those projects are rolled-up together with all the planned rural projects to create the statewide transportation improvement program (STIP).

Although the STIP is required by federal law to be fiscally constrained (i.e. include only those projects for which there is funding), there is currently no requirement that TxDOT list in the STIP or anywhere else those projects that are viewed as potential toll projects.

RULEMAKING AUTHORITY

It is the committee's opinion that this bill does not expressly grant any additional rulemaking authority to a state officer, department, agency, or institution.

ANALYSIS

HB 962 adds a new 36.902 to the Transportation Code. This section requires that when producing the STIP, TxDOT must indicate which projects included in the STIP are viewed as toll eligible or toll feasible. This indication by TxDOT in the STIP will make aware the public, the affected areas and all interested parties that TxDOT is considering certain projects for tolling. This allows all stakeholders at the earliest point possible to begin the process of evaluating the noted facilities as a tolled projects. This improves the process by which the funding and development of new facilities is examined and ultimately determined.

EFFECTIVE DATE

September 1, 2005.

H.B. 962 79®

That's especially bleak news because Houston already has some major state roads that need redoing, and those roads, at least the last time I check, weren't on the list of upcoming proposed projects.

Max,

Can you give a non-native any idea as to why COH seems to have fewer state roads per capita inside its city limits than many other Texas cities? Was this intentional or just a freaky consequence of history?

As for as interstates go, Houston was on the corridor paths of only two and only recently have been placed in the path of a new one (I-69).

I have also noticed that too. It seems there are a lot major roads that are not part of the state system. I think in some ways it is good because the County and City are actually better at keeping up with repairs. All of the major work TxDOT has lined up for freeways kind of pulls work away from other major non-freeway roads. Just my guess.