FEMA Flood Maps To Expand The Flood Plain Into Grogan's Forest

AndreaD

I read on Feb. 26th in the Chronicle that the city of Shenandoah got new proposed floodplain maps from a consultant. This news doesn't only affect Shenandoah, but also a lot of the Grogan's Forest area, especially the newly-built areas on both sides of Grogan's Mill Road

Subsidence? Creekside Park was built up to a 500-year or higher floodplain. It appears that there is lot of additional flood plain on this map. I was not following the new maps, but did they change the elevation specifications or did they just remeasure and map the elevations?

Subsidence? Creekside Park was built up to a 500-year or higher floodplain. It appears that there is lot of additional flood plain on this map. I was not following the new maps, but did they change the elevation specifications or did they just remeasure and map the elevations?

I think the answer is your 2nd choice: they remapped the floodplain elevations. As the Chronicle article said, "The new flood map would be an upgrade over the one currently in effect, which was established in 1999, he said. The new version is digital, providing a more accurate representation of the flood plain." So blame it on newer technology. I just wonder now if this digital imaging will affect other areas near creeks elsewhere in The Woodlands.

Andrea

• 2 weeks later...
I think the answer is your 2nd choice: they remapped the floodplain elevations. As the Chronicle article said, "The new flood map would be an upgrade over the one currently in effect, which was established in 1999, he said. The new version is digital, providing a more accurate representation of the flood plain." So blame it on newer technology. I just wonder now if this digital imaging will affect other areas near creeks elsewhere in The Woodlands.

Andrea

Thanks. Hey look me up when you get here. Have you decided where yet? I am betting you are not going to relocate on a creek bed.

• The title was changed to FEMA Flood Maps To Expand The Flood Plain Into Grogan's Forest

Archived