Commute To Texas Medical Center

Aggienurse09

Hi everyone,

I am not moving to Houston until December but I'm starting to do my research ahead of time. My husband and I will most likely be working in the medical center area and we are thinking of buying a home. This would be our first home so we want to stay around 200K or less. I'm getting the impression that anything for that price inside the loop is pretty shady and we have been living in a somewhat shabby neighborhood while I finish school and really don't want that anymore. On the other hand, we both HATE driving forever just to get to and from work. I've been looking around a bit and the Briar Meadow area looks like it has decent homes in our price range. It is along the West Park Tollway which connects with 59. What do you think the commute would be like coming from there? Also what do you think about that area of town? We are both in our mid-twenties and wouldn't mind if there is some kind of night life nearby as well. Any recommendations as to other areas of town that would work for us as well would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help. :D

You might be able to find something in the Willow Bend area for that price and it's super convenient to the TMC. You could also find a centrally located town home in the Midtown/Montrose/Museum areas.

Check out HAR.com for listings.

I've seen places for the $200K price range in Midtown and Montrose, but they are generally townhouses and I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. You'll definitely like those areas much better than anywhere outside the loop if you are looking for culture and nightlife though.

It is along the West Park Tollway which connects with 59. What do you think the commute would be like coming from there? Also what do you think about that area of town? We are both in our mid-twenties and wouldn't mind if there is some kind of night life nearby as well.

You'd probably be pulling your hair out over that commute. 59 into the Med Center in the morning is a nightmare. Unless you have flexible hours.

Some of my mid 30's age friends live out that way - they seem happy there, but they do drive into town for most fun stuff.

Townhouses would be your best bet close in, I think. You might be able to find a free standing home around that price range in the northern part of the Heights, in Eastwood, or maybe Lindale Park, but I fear all of those areas might be "too sketchy". However, you can avoid the highways during rush hour, and you're closer to downtown.

Maybe try Candlelight Oaks? Just to the north of the loop on the NW side, would be an easy commute to the Med Center.

• The title was changed to Commute To Texas Medical Center

Archived