Classic Video Games (computer, handheld, system...anything)

doin it!!! time for 2nd quest now

zelda.jpg

How sad. Playing games emulated on a PC. Nothing like the "real thing." A lot of the fun is using the original hand controller. Better yet, while you're on ebay (craigslist), get an old Zenith 25" color console television. Hook up a real Atari/Nintendo system to it. Those are the real good old days.

One the reasons you may need an old tube television is that the Light Gun that comes with the NES (Duck Hunt) will not work with LCD TVs. You have to use an old tube television. That is because the response time on an LCD is not "fast enough" to register the shot vs. the old tube television.

How sad. Playing games emulated on a PC. Nothing like the "real thing." A lot of the fun is using the original hand controller. Better yet, while you're on ebay (craigslist), get an old Zenith 25" color console television. Hook up a real Atari/Nintendo system to it. Those are the real good old days.

One the reasons you may need an old tube television is that the Light Gun that comes with the NES (Duck Hunt) will not work with LCD TVs. You have to use an old tube television. That is because the response time on an LCD is not "fast enough" to register the shot vs. the old tube television.

I already have an old 19" Zenith, and a 25". We shipped the console one back to the parents though. I do hook the SNES up to the 55" tv now and again...it's interesting. The game resolution is not quite up to the tv's standards, but DAMN, Final Fantasy is HUGE!

I actually find it more difficult to play with the keyboard than the controller. Even thought it's been 15 years I think I would be more coordinated with the controller from all that practice. But at least I haven't had to reset, pull the cartridge out, blow in it, then try again.

My favorite game of all time, by the way, is Final Fantasy II (SNES). III was good in that it added a lot of flexibility that II didn't have, but the plot/story didn't compare.

Archived