Katy Freeway & Westpark Tollway Additions

I read a write-up of the expansion project in the chronicle.

They will eventually expand the current 11 lanes into 18 lanes.

This will entail 2 new Regular lanes, 2 new frontage road lanes and a 4 lane tollway to replace the high occupancy vehicle lane.

I am trying to understand this.

I am assuming there will be an extra lane on each side of the freeway.

Are the "frontage road lanes" the feeder lanes?

And on the 4-lane tollway, I guess this is going to replace the current HOV lane, which has been a joke I think.

Since they are adding the tollway, I assume it will be similar to the current Sam Houston or West park? Also, does anyone know if it will be a pay toll like SH or a completely mobile toll like the new West park? I am also assuming there will be many more entrances/exits on the toll than there is currently on the HOV.

Speaking of the new West Park toll, how far does it currently run east/west and when is it projected to be completed and reach Grand Parkway?

I would love some feedback from anyone else who might have a good idea on what the plans are.

Heheh..member number 666, eh?

AFAIK, they are almost done with the portion of the project from 6 to 99.(I drove by about a month ago...) The one that will take the longest time is the segment from 610 westward, as well as the 610/10 stack.

I am assuming there will be an extra lane on each side of the freeway.

Yes, one extra through lane will be added on each side of the freeway. Additionally, in some areas, there will be two additional lanes added for merging and exiting.

Are the "frontage road lanes" the feeder lanes?
Yes. "Frontage road" is TxDOT's "official" name for feeder roads.
And on the 4-lane tollway, I guess this is going to replace the current HOV lane, which has been a joke I think.

Regardless of whether you think the Katy HOV is a joke, it gets a ton of usage and carries thousands of passengers in each direction every day. The Katy Tollway will replace the current HOV lane.

Since they are adding the tollway, I assume it will be similar to the current Sam Houston or West park? Also, does anyone know if it will be a pay toll like SH or a completely mobile toll like the new West park? I am also assuming there will be many more entrances/exits on the toll than there is currently on the HOV.

The Katy Tollway will be more similar to the Westpark Tollway than the Sam Houston. It will be EZ Tag only, with buses, carpools, and HOV vehicles allowed to use it for free during rush hour periods. It will likely employ a variable toll system, where tolls vary depending on time of day and direction. This will be done to keep it from becoming extremely congested. There will be a few more entrances and exits than the current HOV lane, but not many more. I've looked at the schematics and I think there are only two or three exits from the tollway between 610 and SH 6.

I make a daily commute on I-10 from Katy (Fry Rd.) to downtown every weekday, and while the construction has truly been a nuisance, I can already see vast improvement. I can't wait for all the additional lanes to be finished. It will be a loooong time . . .

In regards to I-10 schematics, try looking at www.katyfreeway.org for up to date info on the project. It has been an excellent source of information, and two pages with in the site are points of particular interest (for me anyways) - http://www.katyfreeway.org/SH6_IH610_cross.html and http://www.katyfreeway.org/contractB_final...ty_before_after

Hope this helps you to visualize it. :)

A little bone to pick with the feeders--

If TxDOT was not responsible for the feeders then the Katy project wouldn't look so huge. The new "18" lane freeway will actually include 6 lanes of feeders. Hmmm, so it's really 12 lanes? Twelve lanes are not unheard of in America, but the sensationalism of the Katy dies if you don't include the feeders--which is a load of garbage, IMO.

• The title was changed to Katy Freeway & Westpark Tollway Additions