Shooting Range Near The Heights?

20thStDad

they require you to shoot brass cased ammo as opposed to steel has nothing to do with safety. It as has to do with the fact that they want to sell the brass.

I'm not sure I agree with that.

It's true that brass has resale value. But if you reload and want to keep your own brass, I've never seen a range that won't let you collect and remove your own spent cases. However, they don't want you picking up everyone else's that gets left behind. That seems fair enough to me. Reselling that bulk brass helps keep expenses down, so you get to shoot cheaper.

Steel case ammo (and aluminum) typically will malfunction more often than brass case ammo. And failures to feed or extract can lead to dangerous gun handling as people try to clear their jams. So there could actually be a safety aspect to this rule too.

Re: GHGC. Man I read your post and got all excited until I went to the site and noticed it's shotgun only. Is that for real? What's the point of that?

It looks like it's too close to developed areas to safely allow rifle shooting - accidental discharges into the air can go a mile or more. Shotgun pellets, on the other hand, don't go very far at all.

Shooting Range near the Heights?

What kind of shooting do you do? Pistol? Rifle? Shotgun? IDPA? Long range? .22 rimfire?

How close do you consider "near"?

You might consider Bayou Rifle Club. It's a private club that requires membership. But once you join, you get the combination to the gate, and you just let yourself in and shoot when you want. No crowds. No yahoos. They have two ranges, one south on Hwy 288 outside Highway 6, which has handgun ranges and rifle ranges out to 1,000 yards. Another range near Eldridge and I-10 is for handguns and .22 rimfire only. They have active monthly shooting match programs.

Their website is here: Bayou Rifle Club

They've just redesigned the web site, and the range information page is broken right now.

The type of shooting I enjoy most is long range rifle, shooting everywhere from 200 yards out to 1,000 yards.

• The title was changed to Shooting Range Near The Heights?

Archived