Let's Talk About Good Schools

TAK

So a person living in wherever HISD could not request a transfer to Memorial HS ?

SBISD allows "out of district" transfers, so in that case one could. I don't know how easily one could get into Memorial HS. Yes, Memorial HS is "out of district" for HISD residents.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid, I lived in SBISD, but ended up in Vanguard in HISD, because SBISD didn't have anything rigorous enough to keep me out of trouble - daily. Not sure how they'd handle that now, but it sounds like they have some type of reciprocity for exceptions.

Anyway, I'm still looking...

Everything reasonable and with decent schools is FAR AWAY. I guess that's life in (and around) the big city.

I kind of agree with RedScare... life, kids and schools are what you make of them. But you're leaving out one important thing too... what your kids want. You can position them to be in the best high school known to man, but it's not going to stop them from wanting to go somewhere else. HISD is spotty, but so is Cy-Fair, Alief and all of the others.

And trust me, kids can get in trouble in the suburbs. Cy-Fair has some crippling drug issues that kill some of those kids every single year. But we don't hear about it b/c it's Cy-Fair and not HISD. So if a kid wants to find trouble, they'll find it. That's where being good loving parents comes in.

As far as going to an excellent college, I guess the school matters some. HSPVA is a great place if your kid wants to be an opera singer. But if you're raising a football star, they'll be much better off at Northshore.

As far as all-around schools, I can't agree more with Bellaire. I have worked with several students in the system, and they are very bright and very focused. I'm pretty confident that Pin Oak Middle and Bellaire High School will be much stronger in the next 10 and 20 years, just b/c they have the resources to go on. HISD is a very lopsided animal, and Bellaire sees all the benefit of that. I wouldn't be so confident in the River Oaks schools forever either.

• The title was changed to Let's Talk About Good Schools

Archived