Lone Star Market At 1907 Washington St.

Houston*Town

I like to collect old postcards of Houston and saw one of the "Lone Star Market" Otto Vogt, 1907 Washington St., Houston. It had a picture that looked kind of like a Swiss chalet (large) with a stream in front. I didn't buy it but remembered it.

Last week I bought a small plate with the same information and picture. The plate has the calendar months printed in a circle around the picture and is dated 1911. I was curious when I saw the postcard and am curious now.

I haven't checked a map but 1900 Washington Ave. would be 19 blocks from downtown?

Then again, there may have been a Washington St. and an Ave.

If I can't find the answer I may need to go to the main library downtown and possible get an answer there. BUT if anyone has any information I would really be interested.

Thanks

"Washington Ave" & "Washington St" are probably one in the same. I have also seen the same thoroughfare referred to as "Washington Road" on some early city maps. This street got its name in the 1800s because it was originally the road that connected Houston to the state capitol (Washington on the Brazos.)

Edited by Dan the Man

I like to collect old postcards of Houston and saw one of the "Lone Star Market" Otto Vogt, 1907 Washington St., Houston. It had a picture that looked kind of like a Swiss chalet (large) with a stream in front. I didn't buy it but remembered it.

Last week I bought a small plate with the same information and picture. The plate has the calendar months printed in a circle around the picture and is dated 1911. I was curious when I saw the postcard and am curious now.

I haven't checked a map but 1900 Washington Ave. would be 19 blocks from downtown?

Then again, there may have been a Washington St. and an Ave.

If I can't find the answer I may need to go to the main library downtown and possible get an answer there. BUT if anyone has any information I would really be interested.

Thanks

The postcard was just in error - Lone Star Market was at 1907 Washington Avenue, which is near Washington and Silver (i.e., between Sawyer and Houston), relatively close in to downtown. Corkscrew is at 1919 Washington, if that helps place it.

I can only place Lone Star Market at 1907 as of October 1913, when there was an attempted burglary - notable because the would-be burglar was 7 years old (and "small for his age").

But Christian Otto Godfred Vogt lived at 1907 Washington as of October 1907, when he applied for U.S. citizenship.

Vogt was born in Nuksker, Denmark, on May 13, 1860.

He arrived in the U.S. on February 19, 1894.

He married Auguste Hersch in 1901.

He had jury duty in October 1903.

In February 1904, he purchased lots 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 of block 117 in the Brunner addition from John Lenz.

He served as a pallbearer in December 1904 for a resident of 1819 Washington who was buried in the German Cemetery (now called the Washington Cemetery, on Washington Ave.).

He was a member of the Woodmen of the World, Red Oak Camp No. 95, as of that time (December 1904).

As mentioned before, applied for citizenship in October 1907.

Had jury duty again in March 1911.

In August 1911, Vogt visited Galveston's Cotton Carnival, and told a Galveston reporter: "I never fail to have a good time when I come to Galveston. I am very much interested in the cotton carnival exhibits."

Jury duty again in 1912.

The burglary mentioned above occurred in 1913.

In 1877, the "Lone Star Nursery" had a float in Houston's Volksfest parade.

In 1878, the "Lone Star Nursery and Market Garden" had a float in Houston's Volksfest parade.

This was of course before Vogt even arrived in Houston, but it's possible that the Lone Star Market Garden was an existing business rather than one Vogt started, so thought I'd mention it.

A "Lone Star Market" in Richmond (Tex.) was flooded in July 1899.

From what I can tell, "Lone Star" was a very popular business name in Texas in the time period.

More information than you requested, but I was hoping it might convince you to buy the postcard and post a photo. Or let us know where it can be purchased. I don't think I've ever seen a copy before - has anyone else? - and it sounds very interesting.

[EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the forum!]

Edited by tmariar

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Was Washington Ave. Ever Called Washington St.
  • The title was changed to Lone Star Market At 1907 Washington St.