Is Houston Country?

I just want to know but sometimes driving along 45, i see dated and rusty looking old shopping centers and mobile home parks off the freeway, it sort of gives a presentation of Houston as a big "hick" town. I wish they would convert some of these old ugly looking structures that are barely standing into some nice town centres and villages. Alot of Houston is nice, ie on the westside, but they need to do something about the eastside and parts of I-45.

I just want to know but sometimes driving along 45, i see dated and rusty looking old shopping centers and mobile home parks off the freeway, it sort of gives a presentation of Houston as a big "hick" town. I wish they would convert some of these old ugly looking structures that are barely standing into some nice town centres and villages. Alot of Houston is nice, ie on the westside, but they need to do something about the eastside and parts of  I-45.

I know that before the Superbowl, the city tried to plant trees along I-45 to hide those ugly structures or at least make the freeway seem better than it is. The city even instructed cab and limo drivers to consider alternate routes when bringing guests from IAH to Houston. However, those greedy businesses protested against the plantation of the trees complaining that they would hurt their businesses as they would make them less visible from the freeway. Well, I know there are plans for the expansion of the 45. Perhaps, that would remove some of the clutter. Otherwise, if they dont want trees, the city should build a wall 10-feet tall on both sides of the freeway as an alternative!

No..make it 20', and get rid of those billboards!

Well..I am really awaiting the expansion of I-45 from DT to the loop. Maybe they could do something similar to US59 in the Museum District, or the Central Expressway in Dallas. This, along with the possibility of the enlargement of DT/Theater district could be a nice move for the city.

Hopefully, the R.O.W. needed for the expansion will clean up the way nicely, and along with the N Rail expansion, lead to the gentrification of the nasty North side.

For starters, that "hotel" off of wayside and 45 was torn down. Was glad to see that. But it's just a drop in the bucket. It's such a huge problem that it needs to start systematically. Billobards are a good beggining.

Billobards are a good beggining.

didn't White say something about removing all those billboards? what ever happened with this? i know he ran into some road blocks but i haven't heard anything about this in a long time...

i hate the drive up the gulf freeway, and that's the one i have to do all the time. can't wait until 59 is done though, that's going to be nice.

I may be alone on this one, but, I dont find 59 anywhere more pleasing than I-45. I-59 just seems dead to me, and, all I see is run-down homes in every direction. Whereas I-45 at least has a large commerical life to it: It is just lit up with tons of neon and activity. It has more of a city feel than 59 ever will. I know I know, the billboards have to go. But I'm just saying 59 sucks more and in other ways. But that's just me.