First Time Home Buyer Questions

Azarian

I am a first time home buyer, and one of my best friends is an Architect. In college, he convinced me to take an Architectural History course, and to my surprise I was quite interested in the class. It gave me an appreciation for the finer points of buildings that I previously did not have, as well as made sure that my over inflated ego stayed in check by reinforcing the fact that I do not know everything about everything

I personally don't know anything about new home construction inside the loop. I believe kjb434 is having a new house built up in the timbergrove area whish is a area I fancy quite a bit. Thats the TC Jester area just north of I-10. He talked about his builder on here somewhwere.

I was really very happy with the inspector that I just had help me out with my condo purchase. Here is his info:

Better Residential Home Inspections, Inc.

Tommy Thompson

President, Houston Association of Real Estate Inspectors, Inc. (HAREI)

TREC #2714

edited: to fix KJB's handle.

My suggestion would be to work with an agent and go look at a bunch of different houses and townhouses in the area. I for one would much rather live in a 2-5 year old that someone has already lived in. Remember that when you are looking at new construction you are going to have about $10k minimum to really complete the house. Window coverings come to mind as a very expensive item that usually is not part of a new home (or at a minimum an extra offered by the builder). Plus this is a buyers market right now and there are a lot of inner loop townhouses on the market. You might be able to low ball your way into a deal.

If you go that route then you can find out who the builder was and do your due dilligence during the inspection period. Don't be afraid to throw away a few bucks if you do in fact find problems with the house. I ended up dropping two contracts when I bought in this area. It cost me $500 total, but was totally worth it as I found the place I really wanted with no problems (and none since 2 years later).

If your heart is stuck on new construction then research the builders in your price range and work a deal from there. There really is a lot of product to choose from in the inner loop. Beware of Perry (I own a Perry) as they have a bad reputation and owning one might hurt re-sale. I have had very few problems with mine and they have been great with the one problem I did have so I am cool with Perry. I might be bitter when I sell it in a few years, but right now it is great. Good Luck.

Do yourself a favor and buy a 5 year old new home!

If you have to buy new, read our documents at www.hadd.com. We have a document on how to avoid being nailed by a homebuilder, the abuse of arbitration, and more.

I would agree about Perry, and Weekley, and KB, and DRHorton, and Emerald, and just about any new homebuilder.

John R. Cobarruvias

Homeowners Against Deficient Dwellings.