Oyster beds devasted by Ike

60 % of this years crop lost, oysters dying under the muck.

Long term recovery will take costly intervention.

Not good news for oyster lovers or for the ecology of the bay.

The Chronicle story.

I wonder how the Louisiana crop fared? I want my Gulf oysters.

I like Galveston Bay oysters. ...a lot.

...but something isn't adding up, here. This isn't our first hurricane and yet we're a highly productive oyster habitat. They say that some areas hit 30 years ago still aren't producing, but then they go on to say that the oyster beds prevent erosion, which begs the question as to whether erosion by itself might just take care a fair bit of the problem.

Either the reporting is poor or someone just wants to get their hands in the FEMA cookie jar. Possibly both.

...but something isn't adding up, here. This isn't our first hurricane and yet we're a highly productive oyster habitat. They say that some areas hit 30 years ago still aren't producing, but then they go on to say that the oyster beds prevent erosion, which begs the question as to whether erosion by itself might just take care a fair bit of the problem.

Either the reporting is poor or someone just wants to get their hands in the FEMA cookie jar. Possibly both.

There was an enormous amount of 'silt' and debris left by Ike. I've seen cars and other things nearly buried by the sand after the waters receded. I know the ferry and shipping lanes had to be dredged to rid the muck. So, one can assume that the oyster beds would be buried as well.

Judging from the water line on one of my remaining palm trees, the surge got up to about 22 feet in Gilchrist. Hell, there were weeds hanging from the power lines that remained. I can't wait till summer when the sand gets fluffy and we can dig around for treasures. It doesn't look like there will be the need for grass mowing anytime soon.

There was an enormous amount of 'silt' and debris left by Ike. I've seen cars and other things nearly buried by the sand after the waters receded. I know the ferry and shipping lanes had to be dredged to rid the muck. So, one can assume that the oyster beds would be buried as well.

Judging from the water line on one of my remaining palm trees, the surge got up to about 22 feet in Gilchrist. Hell, there were weeds hanging from the power lines that remained. I can't wait till summer when the sand gets fluffy and we can dig around for treasures. It doesn't look like there will be the need for grass mowing anytime soon.

I don't doubt for an instant that there's all kinds of muck, gunk, and junk on top of the oyster beds. But I did not dispute that.

I don't doubt for an instant that there's all kinds of muck, gunk, and junk on top of the oyster beds. But I did not dispute that.

There isn't anything in recent memory to compare to the storm surge of Ike, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. In any event, if we don't have many, I hope there are areas of Louisiana that can supply my addiction.

There isn't anything in recent memory to compare to the storm surge of Ike, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. In any event, if we don't have many, I hope there are areas of Louisiana that can supply my addiction.

They're not as good. I can usually tell Galveston Bay oysters from the slight metallic flavor.

I use too much horseradish to decipher.

Such waste! I guess I'm just a purist, but I like my oysters in their natural state. Anything else is a travesty.

Don't get me wrong, I like the horsey sauce too, but only really on red meat sandwiches and in spicy mustards.

Where are you getting your oysters that you have to sauce them up, anyway?

Such waste! I guess I'm just a purist, but I like my oysters in their natural state. Anything else is a travesty.

Don't get me wrong, I like the horsey sauce too, but only really on red meat sandwiches and in spicy mustards.

Where are you getting your oysters that you have to sauce them up, anyway?

Same place you are. That's just how we grew up eating them - cocktail sauce w/horseradish, no cracker needed. Oh and lemon squeezed over them.

Stop making me think about this!

I use too much horseradish to decipher.

:o Sauce??

Oh no, I need my oysters au naturel. Perhaps a squeeze of lemon.

I'm bummed, because oysters are key to good Christmans and New Year's eating. As soon afterChristmas I can make the trip, it's off to New Orleans to eat theirs. From one season to the next there are too many variables, so it's hard to compare the Galveston Bay beds vs the LA beds unless you do a head-to-head taste test.

During oyster season, the Stingaree on Bolivar (assuming it's been wiped away) had an 'Oysters Jubilee'.

You got oyster gumbo, raw oysters, fried oysters, pan sauteed oysters, oysters Rockefeller, oysters Beinville and oysters Jose. OMG it was good.

I feel like that guy on Forrest Gump talking about shrimp.

If somebody hears of them being served on the halfshell at a decent price, speak up. I could use a dozen or two and some ice cold beer right now.

During oyster season, the Stingaree on Bolivar (assuming it's been wiped away) had an 'Oysters Jubilee'.

You got oyster gumbo, raw oysters, fried oysters, pan sauteed oysters, oysters Rockefeller, oysters Beinville and oysters Jose. OMG it was good.

If somebody hears of them being served on the halfshell at a decent price, speak up. I could use a dozen or two and some ice cold beer right now.

I tried their deal once, but the oysters were of inferior quality. They had to be prepared in order to be eaten.

Topwater is where you get good oysters. But I second the call for a good reasonably-priced alternative.

You have a point. rbs320 there was debris in the power lines leading to Surfside 4 months after Carla so the surge was close to being as bad then, if in a more limited area. But there aren't any oyster beds off Surfside, I guess.

I was expecting Robb Walsh in the Press to provide an update and maybe he will have a report in a few days. He wrote a series on the Galveston Bay oyster industry a few years back which he has since turned into a book (Sex, Death and Oysters) and I think he has good sources.

I was told by a manager of a Capt. Benny's years ago that they get their oysters from Matagorda Bay, presumably much less affected. That's been pretty much my go to place for oysters on the half shell for years.

JJ's Seafood Market, just off Stella Link just inside the Loop has carried Jeri's oysters from Smith Point, I think the best from Galveston Bay, in the shell and jarred, in the past; that's where I've gone for oysters for home cooking and serving. Don't know what they've got these days.

In Baton Rouge there were at least a few places that had quarter oyster night, in Houston I have seen none. I like them best fried and on a poboy though. Haven't noticed any shortage or price increase on the few trips I've made to LA since the storms this year.

Archived