Conservatives for Obama? An Interesting Read.

N Judah

I'm glad Andrew Sullivan is now supporting Obama, and he makes some good points which I agree with.

My only problem is that he was a big proponent of Bush until it became unfashionable. Now, like many Bush supporters, he's trying to distance himself from the President in order to salvage his own reputation and stay relevant. He's a smart guy, so don't be surprised when he starts attacking Obama in a few years once the Republican party is rebooted and appears to be on the upswing.

I'm glad Andrew Sullivan is now supporting Obama, and he makes some good points which I agree with.

My only problem is that he was a big proponent of Bush until it became unfashionable. Now, like many Bush supporters, he's trying to distance himself from the President in order to salvage his own reputation and stay relevant. He's a smart guy, so don't be surprised when he starts attacking Obama in a few years once the Republican party is rebooted and appears to be on the upswing.

Judging by the rhetorical content, this doesn't surprise me. He used so many platitudes and other rhetorical devices to try to explain what could've been his strongest points as to call into doubt everything else that he was arguing. And frankly, I'm not sure that I'd agree with any of the reasoning (where he used reason).

Maybe he typifies the swing voter -- ?

I seriously doubt it is "fashion" that makes people dislike Bush (which, for the 'FOX News' crowd, is all the more reason to say it, I suppose). I voted for him in 2000 (and I won't make that mistake again -- voting, I mean) thinking we were getting a smart fiscal conservative and instead we got some kind of neocon Likudnik psychobilly who ran up the nation's debt and contributed to the largest expansion of government since Eisenhower.

On the plus side, he didn't veto any bills except one. I did like that.

Archived