Victorian architecture, cheap healthcare bring snowbirds to Rockport

editor

Marketwatch has a feature about people from the north coming to Texas for the winter. Looks like the hot spot these days is Rockport/Port Aransas area.

I only visited there once, and it was just a drive-through. Apparently there's a lot more to see and do there than I thought. Anyone been?

Marketwatch has a feature about people from the north coming to Texas for the winter. Looks like the hot spot these days is Rockport/Port Aransas area.

I only visited there once, and it was just a drive-through. Apparently there's a lot more to see and do there than I thought. Anyone been?

I don't think they get as many snowbirds as The Valley, but as long as I've been around, there's always been a sizable winter population in Rockport/AP/Port A. I wonder if more are buying/building these days, as opposed to renting or RVing. Last time I drove through Rockport this past summer, I was definitely surprised to see so much new home construction.

edit: It's a pleasant litttle south Texas town. A fairly strong local arts community. Big destination for fishing and birding, like the article says. I've stayed with friends at their family compounds before in Rockport, but generally prefer the island since I'm a beach person. I used to take a winter beach camping trip with friends after the holidays. RVs and crusty old people everywhere along the coast.

Archived