The Angel and The Ox Irish Pub & Restaurant

• 3 months later...

Went to the Angel and the Ox last week. Very disappointing. The place is no more Irish than a box of Lucky Charms.

How can the owners have got it so wrong? The place is very stark with no atmosphere. No cosy nooks or fireplace. Service was very poor and only two white wines on offer. Surely they should be pulling out all the stops during the first few weeks of opening. You only get one chance to make a first impression and they blew it. It is basically a square glass fronted room in a deserted strip mall.

In this economy with businesses failing at every turn, I would have thought they would have done their homework and really researched what a british pub is all about. Although Baker Street is a chain, they have got it right and created a place where you want to spend time. The Katy area is teeming with ex-pats with plenty of disposable income crying out for decent eating/drinking establishments on a par with the UK, unfortunately the Angel and Ox just does not come close.

:blink:

Went to the Angel and the Ox last week. Very disappointing. The place is no more Irish than a box of Lucky Charms.

How can the owners have got it so wrong? The place is very stark with no atmosphere. No cosy nooks or fireplace. Service was very poor and only two white wines on offer. Surely they should be pulling out all the stops during the first few weeks of opening. You only get one chance to make a first impression and they blew it. It is basically a square glass fronted room in a deserted strip mall.

In this economy with businesses failing at every turn, I would have thought they would have done their homework and really researched what a british pub is all about. Although Baker Street is a chain, they have got it right and created a place where you want to spend time. The Katy area is teeming with ex-pats with plenty of disposable income crying out for decent eating/drinking establishments on a par with the UK, unfortunately the Angel and Ox just does not come close.

I have to admit, I was pretty excited about this place opening up, however I was a little disappointed that it's to airy to be a true Irish/British pub. I do like that I can get Tennant's on tap, as the only other place I've had that was in Aberdeen. I like the fact that they play authentic Irish type music on the weekends and have plenty on the jukebox. I thought the food was pretty good, considering they are just starting out and have a limited menu. The service I think will improve in time. I just hope that they maybe redo some of the interior to resemble more of a true Irish pub, much like Red Lion, Kennealy's (sp?), Richmond Arms, Shay McElroy, etc.

I think being in Katy though presents somewhat of a different issue since you have to appeal to families somewhat to stay profitable. Thoughts anyone?

Agree about the interior. Right now it's all tables and chairs plus the bar. Some booths would be nice, perhaps those are planned. Not much you can do about all the windows since it is a (upscale) strip mall after all, they've got solar screens up so it's not showroom bright in there. They're planning on building a patio on the side of the building (going back and forth with Cinco's planning commission). If they can open up the doors to the outside, that would make an interesting cross-breed between a Texas Ice House and an Irish Pub. :D

Aesthetics aside, the beer selection is good. The food is good (Shepard's Pie is made with lamb, not ground beef), decent burger, I'll try the Fish & Chips today and let you know. :) They seem to be doing okay and pulled some business/curiosity seekers away from Baker St. whose owners dropped by to check them out.

With more food places going in to the Villagio, maybe they can get to critical mass and become a destination.

Update: Fish & Chips are decent, Tennants is Scottish Budweiser! :P i.e., a nice light summertime beer!

Edited by Standeck

Got to agree with the trend of comments above. On the positive side, a not to bad place with decent food, draft pints of Tennants(!) which I miss from Scotland and good Irish music at the weekends. On the other hand it just seems to be missing that special little extra something. It seems a little sterile because although it has a nice bar in one corner, the rest doesn't quite fit as it is a typical strip center with modified rectangular space devoid of character. A fire, a few booths, more stuff on the walls etc. would pad it out and add to the atmosphere. If you could combine the best of Baker Street and The Angel & The Ox and miss out the worst that would be perfect. I can see the future of it as a place to start your weekend night out till about 10.30 before you head over to Baker Street to get to the real action.

• 2 weeks later...

On the positive side there is no smoking. I like Baker Street but sometimes it can get to be really smokey.

As spring approaches the A&O will start losing out if they don't get the patio finished. A&O is desperately in need of some atmosphere. Other businesses in the Villagio haven't fared very well. So don't expect the management company to help out. There isn't really much of draw to get you into the pub, it just seems too sterile - too many windows.

I also don't get the Football and Rugby thing. The owner may be into it, but I don't think there is enough interest generally to draw people in. There are better sports bars in the area, A&O really isn't set up for sports.

The food is pretty good. I've had the Shepherd's pie and the burger. My wife had the fish and chips both times we ate there. We want to try out the weekend brunch soon - that is a possible niche that isn't being filled. Good selection of beers and ales.

Baker St right now just hits the right notes. It has the pub feel. During the day it is more families, late evenings on the weekend it draws in the younger club set. Nice patio area. Food is OK, not great. There are a couple of items I really like, but we don't go there for the food. When we have family in from out of town they ask us to take them to Baker St. It helps that is walking distance from our house. Sometimes we ride bikes there.

I'm really pulling for the Angel & Ox. I didn't want it to be another Baker St. I really wanted a different experience. But right now they just aren't there yet. I'd encourage people to give it a try, I think it may come around eventually.

Honestly, we were very disappointed with our experience at Angel and Ox, sure not to go back.

Here was our experience. We were at church on Sunday and there was a pink flyer about coming to the restaurant "breakfast, lunch or dinner!" and a portion of the proceeds would go to the youth group. Our church averages 800 any given Sunday, so a pretty big promotion/fundraiser.

When we arrived, no one greeted us. We weren't sure if we were to seat ourselves or wait to be seated. And we were a party of 5, all the tables are 4 tops. So we would have to combine a table, but didn't know if we should squeeze vertically or horizonatally. When we asked, waitress said she "didn't care." My husband says while I was in the restroom, a group of 6 came in, no one helped them, they walked around confused over what the should do and finally walked out:(

We arrived at 12:45pm and were only offered breakfast. waitress says they don't serve lunch until 2. Breakfast was $8-9 each. tasty but nothing special. We ordered Diet Coke, it was flat. Replaced it with Sprite, it was flat too (not surprised) So they knew the Co wasn't working. Yet we watched as other customers ordered sodas and returned them. They just kept taking soda orders...

Took a long time for the server to come back with the bill when we were finished. With plans at 3pm, I walked the kids over to the car, hoping that my husband at an empty table would be a clue that it was time to pay. He needed $15 change, they didn't have it on them. Then the owner-lady fussed over the pink fundraiser slip. It wasn't a coupon for $ off, just to have a portion of the proceeds go to the church youth group. She was very put out, rekeying it in, making husband wait (could have done it was he had left) and took breaks at keying it in by waiting on tables, running other payments. Seriously 20 minutes to pay.

I think Angel and Ox has a niche. I can imagine if I lived in Ireland, finding comfort in a bar that served Shiner and telecast American Football. But they should stick with that. Don't pretend to be something it is not, like a family restaurant... and encourage 800 church goers to come support a youth group fundraiser.

And it might help to cover the windows with some decorative film. Nothing impressive about the view of a empty weed lot :wacko:

We went Saturday night to try their Shepherd's Pie and Fish & Chips. This was our experience:

We arrived at about 8:15 and had no idea what we were supposed to do. All the tables were packed, and there was no greeter to be found. After standing around for several minutes, a man later identified as the owner showed up and asked if we were there for dinner or the bar. We told him dinner and he replied that it was a 10-15 minute wait for a table. We were fine with that, as it was a beautiful night for sitting outside.

Which was a good thing, as we were not seated until 9 p.m. straight up. But that was more or less fine, it's not like they could kick people out to create space for us or anything.

So we placed our order with the waitress when she appeared at 9:05, but a guy appeared several minutes later to tell us that the kitchen was closed at 9 and so that all we could order was "pub grub" i.e. hot dogs, bag of heated potato chips, etc. We explained that 1) We had come specifically for the food we'd ordered; and 2) that no one had informed us of this policy at any time prior to this point; and 3) that we had been there well before the kitchen closing hour and waited 3-4 times the length we'd been promised for a table. The guy sympathized said he'd see what he could do.

Several minutes later, the waitress reappeared and stated that there was nothing they could do, it was "pub grub" or nothing. We firmly pushed the issue, and she pleaded our case to the owner and magically we had our Shepherd's Pie and Fish and Chips in a matter of minutes. Still, it's not pleasant to have to beg and plead for your dinner, ya know?

At any rate, the Shepherd's Pie was pretty authentic, though pretty bland. The Fish & Chips were a mixed bag...the fish wasn't crispy, it was very soggy/oily, while the chips were fine, just your basic steak fries. I'd like to believe that the food quality issues were merely result of the "after 9 pub grub" issue, but who knows?

On the upside, the band was fantastic and the crowd was pleasantly raucous!

I think they have a good shot at success if they'd iron out the deep wrinkles in their service. Others here have already spoken to the decor. I will say that we liked what is there, but it seems like just a basic platform for, and a tantalizing taste of, what it could be. That's pretty frustrating to see, but perhaps with time it will fulfill its potential.

We'll try them again in a few weeks, especially if they have the same band (the table bulletin said they were called "P.U.B. Band," whatever that is supposed to mean).

the owner told me that they were in the process of getting some things to decorate the windows. another issue is that it sounds like the cinco ranch HOA or someone like that is what's holding up their patio. sounds like someone is standing in their way of putting in their patio.

The upper window coverings will be stained glass representations of UK and vicinity flags (England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland etc.) - sounds cool.

Also the A&O is serving breakfast / brunch which is something the area has really been needing. The only other local breakfast option is IHOP, the mini-Denny's or going way over to old Katy to Snappy's. I tried the Bachstai (sp?) pancakes which are thin like crepes and made with potato and herbs - delicious!

The upper window coverings will be stained glass representations of UK and vicinity flags (England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland etc.) - sounds cool.

Also the A&O is serving breakfast / brunch which is something the area has really been needing. The only other local breakfast option is IHOP, the mini-Denny's or going way over to old Katy to Snappy's. I tried the Bachstai (sp?) pancakes which are thin like crepes and made with potato and herbs - delicious!

Boxty, it's a potato pancake - and I know that because my daughter had to cook some for a school project.

Boxty is definitely how it's pronounced, they've got that in parenthesis on the menu, but the actual name is spelled differently in Gaelic. Regardless, it's delicious! Also, my wife had a Poinsettia which is a mimosa made with cranberry instead of orange juice and very good. I had beer of course; it isn't just for breakfast anymore! :D

Boxty is definitely how it's pronounced, they've got that in parenthesis on the menu, but the actual name is spelled differently in Gaelic. Regardless, it's delicious! Also, my wife had a Poinsettia which is a mimosa made with cranberry instead of orange juice and very good. I had beer of course; it isn't just for breakfast anymore! :D

The poinsetta sounds great - that I will have to try!

Stopped by again and had a nice chat with the owner. He confirmed the Cinco Ranch HOA have been a major pain in blocking his patio plans so he is giving up that fight. Now hopes to simply put some tables and umbrellas on the grassy area instead. He will add some balls and the likes for kids to play with in the wide open area in front of that. He is also going to put booths in along one wall and has been actively reading everyone

Stopped by again and had a nice chat with the owner. He confirmed the Cinco Ranch HOA have been a major pain in blocking his patio plans so he is giving up that fight. Now hopes to simply put some tables and umbrellas on the grassy area instead. He will add some balls and the likes for kids to play with in the wide open area in front of that. He is also going to put booths in along one wall and has been actively reading everyone

I don't think a traditional Irish breakfast would have boxty, but there would certainly be black pudding. The less said about which the better, except perhaps to note that it constitutes suitable nutrition for vampires. :o

blackpuddingDM_228x304.jpg

The poinsetta sounds great - that I will have to try! I remember from my daughter's research that boxty is from the gaelic word "bactasi" which means to cook potatoes over an open fire. lol - today's educational tidbit in the Katy forum :-).

It is spelled boxty in Ireland as well as America. http://www.boxtyhouse.ie/

Family and I ate at Gallaghers back in 2007. Very good restaurant in Dublin.

Apparently there have been some noise complaints from nearby neighbors in South Lake Village about the A&O; anyone live close enough to comment first hand? Can you hear the music?

On the latest entertainment bulletin I note that this week's schedule trends towards the acoustic end of the spectrum (i.e., no Blaggards) so perhaps the owners are responding like good neighbors and trying to keep the noise down. Eventually (could be quite a while) when the Rialta Center is built there will be another set of mid-rise buildings between the A&O and the nearest houses to block any hilarity.

Apparently there have been some noise complaints from nearby neighbors in South Lake Village about the A&O; anyone live close enough to comment first hand? Can you hear the music?

On the latest entertainment bulletin I note that this week's schedule trends towards the acoustic end of the spectrum (i.e., no Blaggards) so perhaps the owners are responding like good neighbors and trying to keep the noise down. Eventually (could be quite a while) when the Rialta Center is built there will be another set of mid-rise buildings between the A&O and the nearest houses to block any hilarity.

The Rialta development has been scrapped.

The Rialta development has been scrapped.

Interesting. Guess it's going to be weeds for a while.

Regarding noise, the owner is installing noise curtains behind the stage and booking mostly acoustic acts which won't play past 10 PM. They're having a "Rally in the Alley" on the 14th, building up to St. Patrick's Day with food and beer outside in the parking area. Should be fun.

Was out there today and they had a nice little rally with classic cars.

Course everything else was dead at Noon time on a beautiful day. Santorini's was empty, Stadia had a few folks but only because a little league team was there. Gellato place was empty as was Berryhill's

Typical guess everyone was eating over in the Galleria or Downtown or perhaps Chili's and Chedders :lol:

• 3 months later...