Uss San Francisco Damage

Hunter

I am not sure how many remember the news broadcast of the US submarine that crashed lately but here are some pics that I found showing the extent of the damage. I just thought I would share them with everyone. Amazying only one person was killed in this accident.

USSSanFranciscoWreck1.jpg

USSSanFranciscoWreck2.jpg

USSSanFranciscoWreck3.jpg

USSSanFranciscoWreck4.jpg

It looks like it was just a glancing blow of the damage would have been much worse. But it does hit close to home for me. I use to serve on Subs myself. We use to have nightmares about stuff like this happening.

Not sure if you're exposing any military secrets or not . . . but as long as the pics are already in the public domain, what are those black cube things? Interesting pics indeed.

Special micorphones that are connected to the sonar system. Allows the Submarine to listen to its surroundings. There is more but that is all I really know about them.

And to think, running at full tilt boogie (flank) - the sub couldn't 'hear' ____ anyway during it's training run to Australia because at flank it isn't stealthy at all - background noise is ownship. The only thing worse would've been a dead on collision at ludicrous speed vice the port side glancing and buckling at flank. That would've been terminally devastating and heroic DC efforts would be fruitless.

The USN better rethink distribution of new charts.

Hey, Hunter - I HAVE to ask what military site you originally pulled those photos from.

Archived