Moving From Northwest To Really Northwest

Yonkers

Hi all,

I grew up in the Klein district near Acres Homes, right on the edge of Klein and Aldine ISD. But I've been living near Jersey Village the last 10 years. It looks like I might be moving out to a neighborhood near North Hampton up there near 2920 and Kuykendahl. I believe it's right near Klein Oak HS.

Anyway, I went to Klein Forest and never had cause to venture that far out. Mainly hung out around Champions Forest area. Can anyone tell me much about this area? Is it growing? Property values maintaining? I work at Beltway and 45 and plan to drive up 2920 to 45 and down. Traffic pretty bad? Is it better to go small roads?

Appreciate anything you can tell me.

Hi all,

I grew up in the Klein district near Acres Homes, right on the edge of Klein and Aldine ISD. But I've been living near Jersey Village the last 10 years. It looks like I might be moving out to a neighborhood near North Hampton up there near 2920 and Kuykendahl. I believe it's right near Klein Oak HS.

Anyway, I went to Klein Forest and never had cause to venture that far out. Mainly hung out around Champions Forest area. Can anyone tell me much about this area? Is it growing? Property values maintaining? I work at Beltway and 45 and plan to drive up 2920 to 45 and down. Traffic pretty bad? Is it better to go small roads?

I just sent you a PM! :)

• 5 months later...
Hi all,

I actually graduated from Klein Oak.

When I went there, it and Northampton were fairly secluded and quiet (if you discount the very active train track at the front of the neighborhood), but now the area is succumbing to the same type of unplanned free-for-all suburban sprawl found around most of Houston.

Exhibit A: The intersection of 2920 and Kuykendahl. It used to be essentially cow pasture on all four sides (we're talking as recent as 2001). Now it's heavy commercial development which has brought heavy traffic, without the appropriate traffic management changes. Kuykendahl south of 2920 has only just recently been expanded to two lanes each way; north of 2920 it is one-lane all the way to The Woodlands.

Not only is the commercial development poorly planned and coordinated, there is a husk of a strip center on the SW corner that was never completed and is currently dilapidated. I'm sure you can guess the effect that had on property value.

--

Moving on, there are tons of new and heavily foreclosing neighborhoods along Kuykendahl on both sides, exacerbating the traffic and noise issues meanwhile lowering property values with their quickly and generically designed housing.

Northampton itself, while a beautiful neighborhood, used to be surrounded by significant chucks of greenbelt including creeks. Had many fun days playing in the woods there. Most of the greenbelt in the back has been eaten by new development neighborhoods, backing up to Gosling, which now contains a heavy traffic burden as it now crosses Spring Creek into The Woodlands, which has its own new development there. Yes, Gosling is still only one-way each direction. Yes, there's now even strip malls on Gosling.

Quite frankly, my assessment is that Northampton is a good neighborhood being consumed by poorly planned and executed development on all sides. Maybe the waning economy will slow it some, but obviously buyer beware.

If you enjoy really really really really loud trains in the middle of the night than this subdivision is for you. Both my kids went to Hildebrandt next to the tracks and the subdivision and the trains came in all times of the day. I live in Windrose and can still hear the loud train horns at 2 am at night so imagine how loud it would living in North Hampton right where the train comes by.

I really feel sorry for all the subdivisions popping up in that area because I am sure the builders do not mention it to the homebuyers.

I really feel sorry for all the subdivisions popping up in that area because I am sure the builders do not mention it to the homebuyers.

Feel sorry? Why? Shouldn't a buyer do his/her homework and take everything into consideration prior to purchase?

This may be way off topic but the mindset that "we must protect everyone" has gotten out of hand in this country. THE UNITED STATES OF ENTITLEMENT.

Why is it the builders responsiblity to inform buyers of a train track that's outside the neighborhood? Now I'm not saying the builders shouldn't inform the buyers (I actually do); I'm just wondering why it's not the fault of the buyers who live in these neighborhoods? Didn't these home buyers CHOOSE to purchase a home in these neighborhoods?

Do your homework, look at the fine print, protect yourself. Don't throw a pity-party because someone is too ignorant or lazy to have some forethought for the most expensive purchase in their life.

Oh a home seller I imagine. Sales must be slow. <_<

Alot of homebuyers move from other states and I do not think everyone thinks they are going to look at a map of the tracks. lol!!. It is the responsibility of the builder to disclose because they are not selling a $1.00 item, they are selling a $100,000+ item. Thats why the good builders stay away from mini subdivisions that are popping up in the area. It is usually the not so good builders who make boxed homes that tend to choose the area which is cheap.

Yes, homeowners should certainly do their homework but most just look at area schools and not a map of railtracks or see if a grand parkway is going up unless there is alot of info on it.

Back to original OP. Unless enjoy listening to trains at all times of the day and "especially at midnight" than this is the place for you.

Feel sorry? Why? Shouldn't a buyer do his/her homework and take everything into consideration prior to purchase?

This may be way off topic but the mindset that "we must protect everyone" has gotten out of hand in this country. THE UNITED STATES OF ENTITLEMENT.

Why is it the builders responsiblity to inform buyers of a train track that's outside the neighborhood? Now I'm not saying the builders shouldn't inform the buyers (I actually do); I'm just wondering why it's not the fault of the buyers who live in these neighborhoods? Didn't these home buyers CHOOSE to purchase a home in these neighborhoods?

Do your homework, look at the fine print, protect yourself. Don't throw a pity-party because someone is too ignorant or lazy to have some forethought for the most expensive purchase in their life.

Hi all,

Just a thought-- don't move so far North. Move into an established neighborhood off FM 1960 -- one with lots of trees and quite frankly, established apartment complexes, i.e. you know what you're getting into. Yes, we know ... everyone is too willing to write this area's early obituary .. you'll notice it was not the Randalls at Champions Forest and FM 1960 that had its Wells Fargo robbed recently with reports of shots fired ... it was the one North of us at Louetta. We live in Greenwood Forest with kids headed to your alma mater of Klein Forest and love it -- it's like living in a small town!

Oh a home seller I imagine. Sales must be slow. <_<

Alot of homebuyers move from other states and I do not think everyone thinks they are going to look at a map of the tracks. lol!!. It is the responsibility of the builder to disclose because they are not selling a $1.00 item, they are selling a $100,000+ item. Thats why the good builders stay away from mini subdivisions that are popping up in the area. It is usually the not so good builders who make boxed homes that tend to choose the area which is cheap.

Yes, homeowners should certainly do their homework but most just look at area schools and not a map of railtracks or see if a grand parkway is going up unless there is alot of info on it.

Back to original OP. Unless enjoy listening to trains at all times of the day and "especially at midnight" than this is the place for you.

Nope, not a home seller...an educated buyer that moved in from another state several years ago. I took the time to know the surroundings prior to purchase so that I wouldn't be sour and blame everybody else for my poor judgment. And the level of cost should not determine the magnitude of disclosure. No matter if you purchase $.05 gum or $5,000,000 home be sure the gum hasn't been chewed and be smart enough to scout the area around the home.

As taradon mentioned...back to original OP.

I believe most would agree that neighborhoods near train tracks are less desirable. Especially when the surrounding area is poorly planned and executed, as was noted in this thread. I would also state that asking for help on this site is a step towards doing your homework.

One way to determine drive times is to actually drive from your workplace to the neighborhood you are considering buying. Leave work at the worst time possible for traffic and drive to the neighborhood as if you already live there. Do this several times and get a feel for what it would be like on a terrible day of traffic; ask yourself if you could handle the type of drive you just drove everyday. Also, and I know it's not easy, consider beginning your day from the neighborhood and drive to work to understand that part of the drive. And if you do get serious about moving, it always helps to have a quality real estate agent. They have answers for all of your questions about growth and values. Good Luck in your search.

• The title was changed to Moving From Northwest To Really Northwest

Archived